BIG DIRTY WEEKENDER IMPORTANT INFO- PLEASE READ!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
BIG DIRTY WEEKENDER IMPORTANT INFO

With one week to go here is all the info you need to know.

CAMPING

Campsite is Pre Booked. You have no need to contact them directly.

Abbots Hill Farm
Goathland
Whitby
North Yorkshire
YO22 5NH

Abbots Hill is down the track beside the Goathland Hotel and opposite Goathland Garage at the North Side of the village. The camping fields are about 600 metres along the lane.
On arrival please park in the lower field of which the entrance is situated on the left hand side- if you get to the farm house you have gone two far. Our designated parking area will be signed and will be obvious when you get there. Please park reasonably tightly so as not to take up too much room.
Once parked please go to the reception at the farmhouse and let them know you are with the RetroBike Weekender. You will then be shown to the 'Orchard Field' which is a short walk through the farmyard.
Gil and myself will be collecting all monies on Friday evening and Saturday morning. If you have not been collared by us please come and find us to make your payment of £6pp per night.

SATURDAY ONLY RIDERS

Please note the campsite is not the starting point and parking is only for campers. If you are joining us for the ride only please use the pay and display car parks in Goathland. Anyone failing to observe this will be made to run riser bars AND bar ends!!

We have asked the cafe to open early on Saturday and they will be serving breakfasts out in the garden from 10 onwards.
The ride starts at 11:00 sharp from the village green outside the cafe. The Cafe is situated on the highstreet and again will be obvious by the number of brightly clad riders milling about.

SUNDAY ONLY RIDERS

A shorter ride on Sunday will be led by Gil_M around Dalby. Start will be around 11:00am and the meeting point is the carpark in Low Dalby.

FULL SCHEDULE

FRIDAY 6TH
16:00 Campsite opens
19:00 Evening ride, approx 7 miles of mixed trails, 90% off road. No lights needed.
21:00 Pub finish and BBQ

SATURDAY 7TH
9:00 Show and Shine, Concours Judging at 9:30. All bikes are welcome to enter but this years theme is 'Keep it Steel' Several awards up for grabs.
10:00 Breakfast in Goathland
11:00 The Big Dirty Rideout. 24 miles of singletrack heaven taking in the best of the local Moorland and Forest trails. Mid Ride bailout option, Pub Stop at mid distance. Suitable for all fitness and skill levels.
17:00 Pub Finish. Evening meals available.
20:00 Evening entertainment. BBQ, Beers, Competitions, Awards for concours comp, all around the bonfire with oldskool tunes served up by DJ Andy B until the early hours.

SUNDAY 8TH
10:00 Breakfast in Goathland
11:00 Dalby. Optional 3 hour ride around Dalby's finst secret trails with Gil

WEATHER WATCH
The North Yorkshire weather can be fickle. Last year was hot and sunny and the forcast so far is for the same. Be prepared for all weather.

Thanks to Andy B for providing the following links ;)

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/index-f ... YO90%201WZ

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Whitby-YO22

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/14days.asp?zipcode=YO22

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/362?area=YO22

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/whitby_forecast_weather.html

EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBER

Please use only in an emergency. Also note that coverage is patchy up on the moors.
07900 813717

SHOPPING AND EATING

Remember the BBQ is a bring your own affair. There are small local stores in Goathland but it might be wise to stock up in Pickering to the south or Whitby to the north. That said, there are plenty of pubs in Goathland so no one will starve.

Thats everything covered I think but keep checking back for updates.

All that remains is for me to thank you for your support of our event. We hope you enjoy yourselves and make lots of new friends. I wish you all a safe journey down and hope to see you at the bar at some point over the weekend.

Dr S
On behalf of the BDW Team.

BIG DIRTY WEEKENDER II AWARDS

General awards, voted by participants.

Best Bike Pre 1992 Trophy
Best Bike post 1992 Trophy
The Shonky Shed of the Year Award

Awards decided by organisers will be...

Spirit of BDW Award
Mechanical Blunder Award

Finally all bikes will be photographed over the weekend and a poll will be placed in General MTB chat on Monday 10th August to let the membership of RetroBike decide the winner of the prestigious 'Big Dirty Weekender Bike of the Year 2010'. The winner will receive a years subscription to the cycling magazine of their choice.

There will be no 'Best Crash Award' this year as the organisers feel that some people went a little too far trying to take the prize last year. Sorry Ed ;)

:oops: Not intending to retake that award after my broken ribs last month :roll:

Those arriving on Friday we're just meeting at the campsite are we?

Just to add to this is anybody is travelling through Pickering please bear in mind there is the Tractor engine event also being held over that weekend just outside Pickering on the Malton side of A169

This draws huge numbers of people and consquently a lot of traffic, it can be avoided by using the "Low Marishes" road to Thornton le dale and then following the signs to Dalby forest and back onto the A169 at the Fox and Rabbit pub

Worth thinking about and checking a map if you are coming across from the A64 direction

orange71":mjb5ls1p said:
Those arriving on Friday we're just meeting at the campsite are we?

Yes, Friday night at the campsite. We will be there from 4:00pm onwards.

Dr S":2w84wkyb said:
Please note the campsite is not the starting point and parking is only for campers. If you are joining us for the ride only please use the pay and display car parks in Goathland. Anyone failing to observe this will be made to run riser bars AND bar ends!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Flinkin' blip that's a bit harsh! You could've gone with something gentler like just getting the car towed and crushed or something...
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Doubt it makes any odds, but just for the roll call I'll be plus one with my lovely lady friend ;)

From the description of the camping it sounds like the Orchard Field is for the tent only and not the vehicle/s with you saying its a "short walk". Is that the case - because that would make a difference to me?
Thanks
John
(sorry if that sounds awkward - not meant to be ;) )

You can unload your car in the Farmyard before parking. Car park to Orchard Field is 100yds.

Antiquekona":9vjh8uhr said:
From the description of the camping it sounds like the Orchard Field is for the tent only and not the vehicle/s with you saying its a "short walk". Is that the case - because that would make a difference to me?
Thanks
John
(sorry if that sounds awkward - not meant to be ;) )

Was thinking that too as my bikes will have to live in the tent with me if the car/van isn't in sight.

Really looking forward to the event now and can't wait for the weekend. :D

John is bringing up some top quality RetroBike merchandise including T shirts, hats, mugs and stickers etc. There could also be the new RetroBike Endura Baggy shorts if they turn up on time. There willonly be limited supplies due to space so if there is anything specific that you want please PM him in the next 48hrs.

Cheers
Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back