Project Scruffy Bike - '97 Scott Endorphin

uktyler

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
A recently acquired frame, I've wanted one of these since they came out.

Unflatteringly unpainted in urban camouflage and using a mix of bits it may not be to everyone's taste, but I love it. The ride is everything I hoped it would be. I've been looking for years for a bike that rides better than my Explosif, and I think I've found it, This will be my new daily rider, a bike that is a joy to ride.
P7280005.JPG

P7280006.JPG

P7280009.JPG

Now all I need to find is a front mech to fit.

Frame: Scott Endorphin Carbon

Fork: Manitou Six

Headset: Cane Creek
Stem: Syncros
Handlebar: Trans-X
Grips: Outland

Brakes: Magura Evo
Shifters: STX
Front Derailleur: Still looking
Rear Derailleur: XT M750
Chain: KMC
Cranks: LX
Crank Bolts: LX
Chainrings: LX
Bottom Bracket: UN51
Pedals: Unknown

Wheels: Mavic Crossmax XL
Tyres: Specialized

Saddle: HZA Cheapie
Seatpost: Madison Cheapie
Seatpost Binder: Specialized

it looks cool rubbed down. rat look.

is the rear end designed to flex a bit?

I remember seeing a brand new one of these on a club ride in the 90's. It was pretty unique. We chatted to the owner who said he did notice a bit of flex in the rear end.
I'm sure you could see the carbon weave on his. But it was polished.

EarlofBarnet":1ei93oco said:
Bit of a shame to see it tatty. Get it cleaned up a laquered :)

That was the original idea, but I was too impatient to ride it. I quite like the rat look, it will be staying that way til the winter, when I won't be riding so much. I don't think it will be easy to get a gloss carbon weave finish, as there isn't much laquer in the carbon to get a polish out of.

According to my mate who was following me there is a good half inch of flex at the rear.

I don't know whether this could be of any help to you. Just a photo I'm afraid, as my scanner is even worse.

It's perhaps at the opposite extreme of the stealth spectrum, but the comments may be of interest. It was published in MBR October 98, so maybe the following year's model. Note that they got the price wrong - it should say £2,999.

Incidentally I'm not quite clear why you're having trouble finding a front mech to fit - this seems to have a normal 34.9 conventional-swing top-pull XTR fm.

Attachments

• 1998 Scott Endorphin World Cup.jpg
    1998 Scott Endorphin World Cup.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 6,685
Cool frame! I have always wanted it.
Arent you affraid about the stress that rear magura brake puts on the frame?

Latest posts

Back