1996 Cannondale F1000-The pain begins!

majoreyeswater

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Right then! Here I go again on the bumpy RB road to bankruptcy.

Recently bought this Cannondale F1000 frame and forks from a nice guy on ebay. Purchased with the full knowledge that the Fatty was totally seized up so thought I might, with my limited ability, be able to sort it.

I've spent the last couple of weeks contemplating my options. They are as follows.

1. Keep it as near to original as possible. Service the Headshok and fit period bits. Polish her up and fit new stickers.

2. Replace the Fatty with different forks using a reducer therefore widening my options. Mid nineties suspension and period parts.

3. Again different forks with more modern parts.

P7250194.jpg

P7250200.jpg

P7250197.jpg

P7250195.jpg

P7250193.jpg

P7250192.jpg

P7250198.jpg

Picture of bike supplied by previous owner in better days!

cimg0043.jpg

First problem! I've begun stripping the Fattys using the article here - http://sheldonbrown.com/cannondale-headshok/index.html - They have been a real pig because, from what I can tell, the needle bearings have become completely rusted up. Solid :?

Got as far as the castle nut thingy. Thought I might be able to shift it but i've been unable using my available tools. There is a real danger now of damaging the nut so a halt has been called to proceedings :roll:

Question: Has anyone got a Cannondale castle nut tool or similar to either buy or borrow ? Looking at various prices from the US & EU its going to cost a bit and may not worth the cash in the long run. I am also suspicious that if I do get it all apart, will the cost of parts be too much to make it all viable. So any Headshok parts you might have could be useful.

Looking at reducers and reducer headsets this option might be much better and will give me a whole range of fork options. Or do I find a replacement Fatty out there that works well so I can keep it original.

Dilemmas dilemmas :? :?

This is a very long term project coz the finance well has run dry so I am aiming at building this over the autumn/winter period. See what Father Chrstmas brings me :LOL:

Any help gratefully appreciated folks.

Steve.

Go with the number 1.
Its a disgrace to put anything else but headshok on that frame!!!!! :LOL:
In 96 i bought yellow F700 which was one model lower and t didnt like the shape of the P-Bone fork, so i got new Fatty without the internals and they fitted DD50 cartridge into Fatty. So my point is that you can wait for some fork from that time when it shows up and it doesnt have to be Fatty you can use P-Bone for spares and eventually internals too.

BTW since then i still have that stem, which seems to be identical with the one you have on the picture...it you want :cool:

I have a link to some Headshok spares in my For Sale post (see sig below)

I managed to free a seized needle bearing set in an old cannonndale by soaking in GT85 over a weekend... once it starts moving you can flush it with more, move the fork and watch the cr@p drain out (repeat as necessary). Once it was coming out clean, the action was smooth, but felt 'dry'... I used Finish Line Wet Lube dribbled in from the top. Didn't have to disassemble the forks from the column!

Thanks for the replies chaps :cool:

Yes I do want to keep the Fattys and don't think anything else will look right somehow! It's just that flaming castle nut will not budge and i'm desperate for a tool to shift it. If my engineering skills were better i'd try and fashion one myself. They are available from the US but shipping almost doubles the unit price :roll:

I'll soak the parts with something similar to GT85 when I get the chance and try to turn it one more time. When, and if, I get it all apart i'll see what parts I need and may drop you a line red. Got a feeling :LOL: that all is not well within the shock and all may need replacing!

BTW-What exact model of Fatty is it that i've got here. Daft question I know :?

Steve.

I agree, stick with the Fatty, when they are set up right they are great forks. and nothing else looks good enough on a nice frame like that.

If you can afford it, send it to the guys at 88aid , they work wonders on Headshok/Lefty's.

I agree. I'm not a huge fatty fan, but think anything else looks silly on these frames.

Looking forward to the transformation.

Option 1 since it's a Headshok Fatty and not the MC60 or whatever variant.... either refurbish the polished finish or a powder coat in colours of your choice. Definitely worth the pain..hah

majoreyeswater":5t69fsql said:
It's just that flaming castle nut will not budge and i'm desperate for a tool to shift it. .

I can lend you one (and the U-tool to remove the cartridge cap) if you're happy to cover recorded postage both ways.

Back