1988 Jamis Dakota Competition...first ride pics page 2!

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
After buying almost everything NOS XT for this build, then having 2nd thoughts and selling it all but the frame, I've decided I cant stand to see it lying in the corner of my spare room anymore!
The last thing I need is another bike to ride but I'm building this as a summer promenade cruiser so it fills a gap :D

The two biggest stumbling blocks with this build have always been the double U-brakes and the 21.1mm stem requirements.
Considered getting the steerer reemed out to 1" but then LGF offered me a 21.1 twin-clamp stem.
This wasn't really where I was wanting to go wit the build but I thought I'd give it a try.
Trouble with that stem was it took 22.2 bars!!
So there the build stalled...the XT kit was all sold and the frame tucked away (and very nearly sold to Gravymonster before he found his double U Saracen!).

Anyway, I decided to have another shot at building her up out of whatever I could get hold of.
Found some 22.2mm Renthal motorbike bars (sturdy!!) and then won a double U-brake Saracen for £47 on ebay :D

Bars arrived today so started some bolting together with what I had kicking around the spare room.....

Few of the frame and forks..
DakotaComp013.jpg

DakotaComp005.jpg

Quick build-up with the double-clamp stem, some Suntour Accushift levers/thumbies and some lovely Araya RM25's :cool:

DSC00879.jpg

DSC00877.jpg

The rest of the parts will be robbed from the Saracen when it arrives in a few days time.
There are a few people I need to mention who have helped me out hugely with this but I'll save that until she's finished ;)

Pulls up a second chair and offers round the biscuits (jammy dodgers with cream)...

Saracen arrived today!!

DSC00887.jpg

Was just getting involved with stripping it when my best mate called and asked me to help him with moving house.
Got as far as removing a few bits and putting them in to soak before returning around 7pm.

Got busy cleaning mechs, which were just about as mucky as I've ever seen! Luckily they were also in pretty good condition underneath so worth the elbow grease!

DSC00889.jpg

Could resist bolting them on, just to see progress :LOL:

DSC00891-1.jpg

DSC00890.jpg

Remembered that I've lent a mate my ground down 15mm socket for removing the cranks so set about tatty peddles instead.

DSC00892.jpg

Stripped battered cages off and then remembered the NOS XT ones I bought ages ago and stashed in the sideboard!

DSC00894.jpg

Bit more elbow grease and pleased with the results!

DSC00895.jpg

Then, I had another flashback to buying some NOS XT U-brake pads :D

DSC00896.jpg

Hoping to get the chainset and U-brakes off tomorrow and cleaned and fitted.
Riding Sunday and would love it to be on this :D

Back