bbc4 now! Story of bike

Lysander":klzwb3h3 said:
American Flyers (but only if they give an advance warning that it contains Kevin Costner. With a moustache.)

Now there is a film and a tache! I have it on VHS and DVD and will be screening it at work in the next week or so. God help them.

Off to hunt down the retro film on the Beeb iplayer.

Some more stills of Charlie and the guys on the 'pack:

snapshot20100729202306.jpg

snapshot20100729202119.jpg

snapshot20100729202022.jpg

snapshot20100729201828.jpg

It is out there available to download for those that know where to look. Great programme BTW - best I've seen on the subject.

;) [/img]

iPlayer doesn't work outside the UK due to rights reasons, apparently. Even working in the UK for a french company, they went through a french server so it didn't work there, either :(

Joe and I were "in character." If you see the old photos, Joe always wore a blue denim work shirt, and I favored my old army uniform shirt.

I had forgotten how bad the brakes were on a klunker.

There is some really good archive in there of the original races. Here's someone getting some big old air - looks to me like he has fitted some moped forks or something - there were no suspension forks available for klunkers back then, and certainly no 4" diameter hub brakes... :LOL:

snapshot20100729215334.jpg

A little late to the party but just done the iPlayer thing.. first bike prog I've ever watched..

Thoroughly enjoyable.. ..

Now to go back through 6 pages of this thread for more titles to hunt down....

And 'attack' my build with renewed enthusiasm and a longing to ride (hell, this might even get me out of the house on my own :shock: )

Lysander":3f6dun8k said:
What they want tae show now is Breaking Away and American Flyers (but only if they give an advance warning that it contains Kevin Costner. With a moustache.)
And how about "One day in Hell"/"One day in the North"? (Can't remenmber the correct title)-the best cycling film ever!

I was watching the programme last night with my wife and when it got to the part where Steve Gravenites was building the wheels she said to me "How does he do that - just by eye and by feel? It's fascinating to watch".
I replied that he does it just the same way that I do it, except that I have to rely on "ringing" the spokes to check tension, not owning a tensiometer.
And anyway, how come you never seem "fascinated" enough to sit and watch me build a pair of wheels :roll:

Because it's just me I suppose.......

Anyway, what I'd like to know is Steve Gravenites any relative of Nick Gravenites the guitarist, songwriter and producer (of Janis Joplin, Mike Bloomfield, Electric Flag etc fame)?
CK will know who I'm on about, even if no-one else does :roll:

Of course, I realise that there must be loads of people in the US with that (Greek) surname.

Back