Kona - Explosif 1997

Most stems are 40mm or more and have two bolts and would be dodgy to clamp onto 30mm of steerer, but this is a 40mm stem that would be safe to clamp onto 30mm of steerer I think.

The colour combination would be arresting too.

Attachments

• Pace RC45 side.jpg
    Pace RC45 side.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 8,057
A few more searches and stem manufacturers really do not like to mention their stack height.
FSA current ones are 40mm like mine or there (I presume higher end) are 35mm.

Think I may 'test' with mine one for feel, I'll not be doing any thing taxing on it.

The Syncros, I've just checked and needs 40mm to be in for it's bolt through (similar to the PACE) to engage fully. Though it was destined for one of the Rockies.

follow up so I can remember what I'm doing as I go along.

Well plans change and some Z2 Superflys with a long steerer turned up :D Which means I get to keep riding my other bikes, have ~10mm extra tube to play with while also using normal stem and headsets. :D

So put them on last night, placed my wheels and seat post from the Rocky on to this to see what it looks like and to get some ideas.

So 27.0 is a perfect fit for the frame (as would be expected)

Red is suppose to be the complimentary colour to Green, hope not as it's hard enough to get hold of some nice stuff as it is, lol.

Question though, there is a thin lip around the top of the CaneCreek S8 headset, that a very small area to be pushing down on, I've placed a spacer I have above it so I don't damage the stem though there is still a gab between it and the spacer. Is there any reason why the lip is there ?

Suns a bit bright today, think I need to pick a better place to take pictures.

Attachments

• KEx-Mock.jpg
    KEx-Mock.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 7,867
Thought I'd update with a picture as it was 5/5/10, before I serviced and snapped a part in the forks.
Seat is now a Flite,
Rear mech has changed to an STX-RC mech. with XT jockey are (makes it the same weight as XT) and the chains shorter

Just so I know where I got too
P1020650.JPG

P1020644.JPG

KeepItSteel":396u9nxj said:
love the choice of fork.
cranks suit the frame too

I liked the fork and having a 245mm steerer helped the choice, shame I broke it but should be getting the spare part as windwave apparently have it, now they eventually replied to me.

M569-ish LX cranks with a 5 arm spider and XC Comp MD chainrings :LOL:, No granny as it doesn't fit.

S 8

S 8 headsets need a specific spacer set, they come with five 4mm interlocking carbon spacers the last one clipping into the recess, ordinary ones don't work well at all.

Re: S 8

Wold Ranger":1d2re6l7 said:
S 8 headsets need a specific spacer set, they come with five 4mm interlocking carbon spacers the last one clipping into the recess, ordinary ones don't work well at all.

I've bought the top spacer that caps it off now. and grab another for it to tune it a bit.
Still might swap it out for a Ritchey WCS, not too fond of this one so far.

Back