One time only Q about a modern bike..

MartinYorkshire

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Guys,

I do apoligise sincerely for this but I dont know anyone else to ask.

A friend of mine who goes riding with me has a Cannondale R700. It has 31.8mm flat bars.

He's wanting to fit some profile bars to the bike but the clamps wont fit close enough together to allow for the taper from 25.4 to 31.8. If we fit them, they slant or the bolts are out of line, a dangerous combination.

Is there anything we can do under these circumstances or is it new profile bars, or new handlebars and stem combo?

Right now it looks downright dangerous and Im not sure what to suggest.

Sorry for modern stuff in the retro forum.

Thanks!

Martin

so i assume the handle bar tapers down very quickly from the centre point where the stem clamps it? assuming you are fitting a profile bar as in a time trial low profile bar you will need a constant width handlebar for the profile bar to clamp to, so it sounds in this case that you will have to replace the main handlebar with something that doesn't taper down too quickly.

to be sure though a pic of the main handle bar and the profile bars would help.

You're right mate. The taper is very short. Maybe 2". Also, I do indeed mean aero bars, in this case made by Profile.

Trying to avoid replacing the bars if possible as it would mean replacing the stem also, in reality as you're not going to be running full length 31.8 road bars.

Why on earth they fit O/S bars to road bikes I've no idea. I cannot see the logic in it.

Are there no profile bars which are designed for this scenario? My gut reaction was to replace bars/stem but they are almost new and it seems a shame.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Profile aero bars should come with some plastic inserts for the clamps which allow you to fit them.

As in the clamps will be 31.8 and have shims to fit regular road bars.

Thanks guys.

They are 31.8 clamps and do indeed have shims. The trouble is, to get them the right distance apart they need to sit on the taper section. Only the central clamp area is over size so it throws the clamps out of line. The shim would need to be tapered itself to overcome this. Bit of a nightmare.

Aye yer screwed then, theres a fair bit of pad adjustment, failing that plump for a base bar. What aero bars are they?

Back