It makes me mad.....

Baah! I demand immediately that this forum be renamed RetroVelocipede......that's the proper name, not this 'bike' nonsense........I dunno, you-kids-these-days-with-your-tight-trousers-and-MP3-Gramophones........we had to make our own music the old days with a comb and tracing paper, and hide from the Lufwaffe every night..........

*walks off grumbling to himself.....faint smell of urine and werther's originals hangs around*

i also thought it was because it de-railed the chain and likr loads of other stuff in cycling we adopted the french spelling
was it mr jubilee that invented the clip then?
i know it was lazlo biro who invented the err biro!

Lysander":3sp0hx45 said:
Baah! I demand immediately that this forum be renamed RetroVelocipede......that's the proper name, not this 'bike' nonsense........I dunno, you-kids-these-days-with-your-tight-trousers-and-MP3-Gramophones........we had to make our own music the old days with a comb and tracing paper, and hide from the Lufwaffe every night..........

*walks off grumbling to himself.....faint smell of urine and werther's originals hangs around*

Speaking of Werthers' Originals, there's no way that old geezer remembers "unwrapping that crinkly celophane wrapper", when he was knee high to a grasshopper. It wasn't invented. Makes me blood boil etc, etc.

Werther's Originals- a British Family Tradition since 1993......................

I always imagined the advert: It's not his grandson, and the Police appear at the door in the last shot............

Lysander":4dzop5ye said:
Werther's Originals- a British Family Tradition since 1993......................

I always imagined the advert: It's not his grandson, and the Police appear at the door in the last shot............

Is that because he's Sting's grandson?

Sorry. Not taken my coat off yet, so departure easy...

Jeez.........I just got that! I even did a news search- I wasn't aware that Sting had joined the Langham/Glitter Club...............then I realised 'The Police', not the Police...............

Yup, keep yer coat on, and its in the drive with the meter running.........

and anyway, no way Stuart Copeland could get his drum kit through the front gate.

Lysander":2li1q4zx said:

In the old days I had to sing myself for music. :)
But to get back to the topic, I think indeed especially Campy. It sounds stupid and you see it a lot on ebay.com. Maybe americans can't pronounse Campagnolo. It is indeed a difficult word. :D

The mech/derailleur part. A derailleur is indeed a french word, comes from derail. It derails the chain.
In dutch the word we use is also a: derailleur.
The german word is easier especially for searching on ebay.
A rear device is: Schaltwerk. (shifting device)
And the front is: Umwerfer. (push-of-thing :))
I find it more difficult to find a front or rear derailleur on the us ebay, because they use several words for it. Like said, derailleur (with endless spelling types) mech.

The last thing...
Cell phone or mobile phone.
A cell phone is actually a GSM telephone and a mobile phone can also be a cordless house phone. The GSM network is made of cells therefore: cellphone. (cellular telephone).
Sorry. I used to work for Vodafone. :)
But I don't really iritate me on all those things, only Camy gives me the heebie-jeebies

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I hate it when they talk about something being "only 14mm thin" e.g. a new mobile... sorry.. cell phone. They are trying to emphasize that it is thin by using that word instead of 'thick' because we're all too stupid to realise that if it was 14mm thick it would be much bigger... :roll:

But it's quite easy to be both:

Victoria Beckham is very thin, but at the same time, extremely thick..........

Back