ebay uk: Peugeot Comete

Hi legrandefromage,

I read on a thread here somewhere that you have a Pug Comete with cracked fittings. Do you know off anyone that has had one repaired?

I own a '86 Comete (that I bought new!) and am gagging to put it back on the road. Low and behold, it has a crack on one of the rear stay to seat tube brackets.

I'm toying with machining up a new part, but not sure about the press method joining the tubes...I'm sure that Peugoet cross-section diagram in the old ads is not quite correct as there seems to be a shim of some sorts between the tubes and brackets. Guess, the only way I'll find out is to carefully slice the bracket in two!

Has anyone successfully removed the stays by removing the allen bolts? I have a nasty feeling they'll be seized, due to galvanic corrosion.

Failing that, I may just put a jubilee clip around the crack and hope it doesn't collapse on me! :?

Unfortunately I gave up on mine and binned it. Just about every lug was cracked.

I bought a Vitus 979 instead. Much better assembly and you can still put Peugeot decals on.

Dohhhhh..... :(

Did you ever get to ride it? Always been amused by it's flexibility on the road. The bottom bracket moves about 3" sideways under heavy pedalling! Should have known better really...unable to ride it no-handed from new, as it immediately 'tankslaps'. I told my lbs about the issue when I bought it to be told 'they all do that, sir'! LOL! Still, makes it very comfy for long distance work.

Good luck with the Vitus 979, - good find! :D

Back