Has anyone seen.....

X-Lite

Quite agree with the above.

Does anyone remember (or better still, have a photo of) the X-lite prototype FS frame? It was box section and looked lite it was riveted like the chassis of a Robin Hood.

Not beautiful but memorable and there is a fine line between.

Re: X-Lite

The Vicious was indeed also one bike that came to my mind when I were thinking of nicer looking full suspension bikes.

adamgent":1yjhmvo2 said:
Does anyone remember (or better still, have a photo of) the X-lite prototype FS frame? It was box section and looked lite it was riveted like the chassis of a Robin Hood.

Is that the Manitou like design called Kamikaze? Remember that one was revited.

Not beautiful but memorable and there is a fine line between.

Probably not familiar to by far many of you, but this one could very well qualify for that catagory too:

birdcage.jpg

The Radical Birdcage. Birdcage after the Maserati Birdcage ...and pretty sure that you can guess why the Maser were called Birdcage:

birdcage720.jpg

The Radical is brazed, not welded. Interesting kind of Paralever contruction. Built by a very nice guy in a communist community about 30km from were I live.

gaf16 - couldn't agree more, used to love the look of my old Tuner Burner, the razorback was a lovely frame. I suppose there's an element of functionalism with full sus frames - it doesn't look good if it doesn't look like it'll work. The Scott Ransom performs great, I'm sure, but it just looks really complex.

Mmmmmmmmmmm!

In reply to Scants comments about Vicous / Titus paintjobs. Do they make a bad bike look good, eg. A Shed with a nice paint job.... Still a Shed.

We have a saying in the Bikeshop (also viable elsewhere), CPAT, You Can't Polish a T**D!

I Totally agree that Softtails are the exception, But most are very limited in Travel, We stocked the Trek STP's, pretty good lookers, but we had a job shifting them in the UK.

does anyone remember the muddyfox full sus they did some kid was giveb one on jim'l fix it. it had the frount and rear suspention linked.

to be honest, i should have included retrobikeguy's manitou fs in my list of cool full sussers.

about as good as it gets in my opinion.

There is a few ways a full suspension can look 'good'.
From a mechanical view, something that looks like its been designed to do its job regardless of asthetics. A good example is the first Whyte bikes. Bloody awful to look at, but you knew it was going to ride well, because it hadn't been restrained by having to look normal.
Then are those that just look right and don't work properly. Thinking very early Trek 9000 series.
Finally bikes that look right and ride really well. My all time favourite was my old Mk1 Raven :twisted:

Latest posts

Back