The Los Angeles Olympics in 1984.

monty dog":13ylsk8c said:
Wasn't it Thierry Marie - rode for System U along with Fignon who had the faired saddle which was banned?

Yes, quite correct.

I've got one of his Festina bottles that he gave me after giving him and Maurio Gianetti a lift to the finish in Het Volk around '92 or '93 after they'd packed.

Saddles with rear lips were still being used in the late 90s - I remember seeing a GAN rider using one in the Prutour. Supposedly meant to increase seated climbing power. No idea who made them tho'...

i don't remember that at all - i remember some guy called nelson vails tho - i'm sure he was a heavyweight boxer with an incredible turn of speed!! rusty ;)

The UCI's knee jerk reaction to almost anything radical seems to be to ban it, whether or not it offers any advantage.

I've got no particular problem with the idea of their obsessive control over the use of technological advances in the athlete's hour, after all that's about a rider setting their own physical ability against riders from history. In competitive events however it makes no sense since it's about riders or teams competing against each other and as such they can all use the technology. Even then it seems to be somewhat unevenly applied, for example you can't use a seat with a lip on the back but you can use more gears than the opposition. If more gears were not an advantage surely everybody would still be using five speed blocks, or maybe a single ratio or even fixed.

Seems to me that the UCI are just bullies who like to flex their muscles from time to time. Every so often it looks like somebody will challenge their authority, but nobody ever does.

rusty bodie":3jimbhxh said:
i don't remember that at all - i remember some guy called nelson vails tho - i'm sure he was a heavyweight boxer with an incredible turn of speed!! rusty ;)

Yup, I remember Nelson Vails - probably the only black American track cycling sprinter of any repute since Major Taylor, about 80 years prior to that.

I did recall seeing a head-on pic of NV where his helmet was completely on one side.

Keep it clean, now!! ;)

Steve Kish":32q2poyl said:
rusty bodie":32q2poyl said:

Yup, I remember Nelson Vails - probably the only black American track cycling sprinter of any repute since Major Taylor, about 80 years prior to that.

I did recall seeing a head-on pic of NV where his helmet was completely on one side.

Keep it clean, now!! ;)

LOL!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Back