Project No. 6: Alpinestars Cro-Mega SS

Hello all, first post on the forums.

First off, THANK YOU for posting all the great AlpineStars eyecandy on here. It's great to see some bikes still out there.

I have a 1992 Al-Mega XT, purchased from my old riding buddy, Mike. It's a fantastic bike, and even though I now have two other mountain bikes, it's still my fav.

Mike stripped and polished (by hand) before selling it to me, so it looks pretty bare bones. I've not had any cracking problems, but I did manage to have the front derailleur tab break off. I took it to a welder to fix, but the new tab was too thin, so I've just been riding it in the middle ring. I bought an E-type front derailleur for it, but never managed to get it working.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's advice concerning the front derailleur, but I'm happy to ride it fixed in front. It climbs so well, I rarely ever used the small ring anyway.

Here's a pic of the bike. I need better ones.

(oops, it doesn't like me posting pics. Maybe later!)

Hiya Paul, after only 5 posts I think you can do pics. :) Why not start a thread with your bike, I'm sure loads would be interested. :)

Nice work BTW Sinnett. Interested to see how ya get on with this I'm a bit of a SS convert myself these days, though all retros avec gears at mo.... :D

UPDATE:

Used the cro-mega SS as my Friday/pit bike at this years Mountain Mayhem, I hadn't ridden it for quite a while but I'm smitten with once more. It had a few mods in recent times to improve the chainline since it was finished. One job outstanding is putting on a new front brake hose, as I rather stupidly cut the hose too short :oops:

2010_0616fs0020.jpg

2010_0616fs0026.jpg

2010_0616fs0024.jpg

2010_0616fs0018.jpg

Wow, it looks amazing, even with those craaazy handlebars!

I've started tearing mine down to use the parts to build up my Trek 9700. I'm going to see about sleeving the head tube of my Al-Mega down to 1-1/8 to 1) reinforce it, and 2) dump the silly adapter once and for all. But for now, I'm just going to ride my other bikes until I can get the Al-Mega fixed.

Back