Shimano Wheel Bearings Question

Wold Ranger

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Any one know how many Balls there should be a side in Shimano XT 7 series wheel bearings? Just servicing mine and the front one appears to have 11 in one side and 7in the other! Should it be 9 a side 10 or 11? 11 will fit without rubbing, but which is the correct number? Can soon get some more balls as they are a standard size.
Thanks

Just done an eight speed and that was nine on each side. I'm amazed eleven could fit in one side. Are they the right size?

Balls

Yep its 9 each side, someone must have slipped up sevicing it b4. Smaller in front 1/4 in back. Managed to find a service guide on the web.
Fitted some XTR Ti axles while I was on. Puts the Torus under 22 pounds now, with quite a bit more saving on tyres, tubes, bottom bracket and seat post to come. Thanks for the response.

I can be wrong, but my 1st thought was:

10x 3/16 in front
9x 1/4 in rear

balls

You may be right as I could get 11 in one side, they had 7 in one and 11 in the other, but some times with smaller dia' balls they prefer to leave room so they don't rub up tight against each other? I have put nine in each at the mo' but may pop another one in each side then.

Actually I have no much doubt. I stick to my 10. Serviced quite a lot XT and DX hubs over the years. 10 came out, 10 went in.

I find well greased, smooth rolling bearings very important. Recently serviced a DX bb. Only 7 balls (in the ring, of course) were fitted. XT and XC Pro bb's came with 9. I mounted 9 balls (without a ring, is better) back, that is an increase of over 20%!!! It was more or less the same for the headset. Shimano found some room for making savings compared to the XT. Less balls.

Back