Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hardrock
Stumpjumper
Stumpjumper Comp
Stumpjumper Team

I LOVED that Di Nucci Green Stumpjumper. Have never seen on in the flesh.

Attachments

• Hardrock.jpg
    Hardrock.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 9,189
  • StumpyComp.jpg
    StumpyComp.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 9,181
  • StumpyTeam.jpg
    StumpyTeam.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 9,172
  • Stumpy.jpg
    Stumpy.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 9,189
Not me! Earliest I have is '89. BTW I finally got round to scanning the '92 stuff as requested - in the 'Found 'em... topic.

Max, that '89 one you sent me a scan from is the following year from this '87 one. So somewhere along the line Specialized lost a year.

I seem to remember the '88 blue/ white rocky comp was also avail in the De-Nucci green as the above stumpy so beautifully illustrates.

My friend bought that Hardrock at the same time I bought my Muddy Fox Explorer, plenty of conversations over Shimano's U brake & Suntours Rollercams on the Muddy Fox over what was best etc etc..Fond memories seeing the Hardrock again

Ah, memories. This was the around the time I first got interested. Couldn't afford anything at the top end though. Interesting to note how large all the frames in the pictures are! With mountain bikes so new it took a while for the thinking to change and frames get smaller and seatposts longer. My first bike was a Dawes Wildcat. Size? "Aaargh, You be a tall young man, you be needin' a 23.5 incher frame oi reckon." Sorry but the shop was in Newton Abbot and its hard to write in Devonian! I got very good at not falling off forwards very quickly!!

Re:

I happen to have one of those '87 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp bikes.
I bought it in Chicago in '98 off the Maxwell Street Market for $50.00 while I was a downtown Bike Messenger in Chicago.
It's my favorite bicycle.
I have made a few changes to it, such as going to an LX grupo for the chainwheel, crankarms, cassette, and derailieuers, and adopting some Continental Town and Country tires. I have kept the Brake Levers and the Thumb Shifters, (I just like the location of the shifters that way.) and added some touring stuff like lights and racks and bags. It's a FABULOUS ROCK SOLID bike, and I just love it to death. I have ridden it as a Chicago Messenger, and also toured it all over the eastern US. If I COULD, I would dearly love to get it's original paint and decals restored to looking like it originally did before the previous owner put a lot of stickers and decals on it.

Back