1999 Marin Pine Mountain build /w pics

f0rd

Dirt Disciple
Hi there,

Maybe a disclaimer, this isn't going to be a one for purists, the bikes main purpose is going to be for my commute to work.

Frame: 1999 Marin Pine Mountain Frame - 19" purchased here on retro bike

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

The frame has a few dings and paint chips, however sadly I don't have the money nor expertise to re-praint the frame.

Wheels: Mavic 6106 Crossrides

web.jpg

web.jpg

I got the the set complete with Mavic Hubs and some 9 speed on the back from evilbay, I have no idea what it is yet (so dirty), going to give it a bath in some floor cleaner.

Brakes: Magura HS 33

web.jpg

Probably are not the best of things to have with the crossrides, wondering how long the braking surface will cope... Although I do want to keep them on as I do hope the bike will actually get some mountain biking use at weekends, and I'd rather be replacing wheels rather than breaks.

Forks:

Well, I have two sets of Marzocchi forks laying around some Marzocchi Bomber 2001 w/ the magnesium arch and some Marzocchi 2003 MX comp

web.jpg

web.jpg

Both suffer from the same problem... the steerer isn't long enough on either of them, so I'm weighing up the decision to replace the crowns or just see what pops up, tbh honest the mx comps could be too heavy, and the 2001's just wouldn't look right.

Also, I have an XTR 9speed shifter for the back.

So it might not be worth the effort, I'll be looking out for some Manitous, or possibly something with lock off... recommendations?

Thats it for now folks, I'll be getting paid in a couple of days, so further parts buying and build shall commence.

Cant see anything wrong with that, should be nice when it's done ;)

The rims should cope with the HS33's, used a set for a year mostly offroad and did'nt significantly wear the rims any more than V's would have.

Thanks alot.

I was going to start trying to get rid of the muck today, but don't have any degreaser to hand, thats either a trip to Sheffield or buy some.

So the option was to remove the rear cassette then dip it into floor cleaner, something that works a treat when I have cleaned my motorbike, however after some consideration, not sure if it would cause any damage... it shouldn't and I can't see a reason why it would, but I don't want to risk it.

Back