1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial with big crack (new pics)

Yvo

Dirt Disciple
Hello!

This is my Gazelle Champion Mondial which is catching dust in my shed. Unfortunately it's badly cracked in the rear fork near the bottom bracket :( (see the pic). Is this still repairable or is it a total loss? Any answers would be much appreciated.

A total loss would be a shame because it's a nice bike fitted with a Shimano Crane rear derailleur en retro Dura Ace parts. The bike is problably from around 1974, according to the serial, which is 3169642 .

1.jpg

2.jpg

it looks like it has rusted through from the inside.

it looks to me like it could be saved by brazing a patch on it to strenghen it(or is this nonsense? i'm more used to repairing car bodywork!)

if it is repaired i would coat the insides of all the frame-tubes with car engine-oil or similar afterwards,to stop any more rusting.

Strip

Yes thats repairable for sure. Completely strip and depending on how much a perfectionist you are but myself, I would braze a patch over this or you could get the chainstay replaced by someone such as Bob Jacksons, Argos etc. After a couple of days I would then completely saturate the inside with weigel framesaver. and leave again for a couple of days. Refit everything and ride it like it deserves.
Ride like the wind my son...............ride like the wind!

Jamie
(getting a bit carried away)

Beautifull bike with beautful black Dura Ace. Bummer of the rust hole. M-gineering has a covering on a similar repair on its site.

Thanks for the comments! I am not planning to spend much money on this repair, so i'm going to search for somebody who can just bring the strengthening back so i can ride the bike safely. Maybe in a couple of years when i have the money, i will do a better restoration.

Yvo

then again,looking at the other rust-patches in the photo,the metal could have rusted through from the outside.

might be an idea to treat all the other rusty areas before they become holes too!

Yvo":nc25btje said:
Thanks for the comments! I am not planning to spend much money on this repair, so i'm going to search for somebody who can just bring the strengthening back so i can ride the bike safely. Maybe in a couple of years when i have the money, i will do a better restoration.

Yvo

This page shows a repair with a brazed on patch

http://www.m-gineering.nl/schade.htm

I would think that the rust comes from inside out. If the moist can't get out a lot of water from wet rides can sometimes cause troubles if frame not maintained properly (hung upside down without post). I know of people who saw a stream of water coming out when uninstalling a BB.

Before you start spending effort and money on any repair you of course need to be sure how bad it is with the rust now. It could be the current hole is not the only spot were rust grabbed its chance.

Thanks for the information guys! i just discovered another rusthole on the other chainstay after i removed some paint, and i am not even ready yet with removing :(. I will post some pics shortly.

Anybody an idea what this bike is still worth if i'm going to sell it?

Back