Cabinet of curiosities

Hi Pigeon,

Are you serious on your aversion for A'dam bikes?

You can tell more on Teun Visser and his Visser Vainqueur?

I really don't know much about Teun or the brand, I only know the shop used to be at Oostplein, Rotterdam, and I only ever saw two Visser bikes. Shown example belongs to Freek whom you might know from the classic bikes circuit. I saw the bike when I went to pick up something I bought from him a couple of years ago. I'm sure he doesn't remember me, but he seemed like a nice chap and I instantly fell in love with his Visser.
The second Visser I saw locked "backstage" during an open air fair on Noordplein in Rotterdam where I had some business, hence me being in the crew area. It wasn't as beautiful as the one shown above but it was the same colour and it had the same kind of appeal. Every now and then I've been entering "Visser" as a search term on mp ever since, but to no avail...

I have seen several on our largest classified site through the time. Next time I will give you a heads up.

You know of more Rotterdam builders?

I know of the Rotterdam based brand Cupini, a bit obscure maybe and I have no idea if they were any good. A friend of mine owns a Koga Miyata with Cupini decals, but a Koga head badge, don't know what's up with that. That's about where mu knowledge ends :)

Edit: oh and please do give me a heads up if you come across a Visser! :D

From Heerenveen: Batavus

4823537602_7cd0d73564_b.jpg

Two early 90s Professional SLX frames

Right frame: purplish/yellow, NOS
Left frame: red/white/blue, KNWU frame (KNWU = Koninklijke Nederlandsche Wielren Unie, translated: Royal Dutch Cycling Union), ex-Dutch National team.

Both frames: Cinelli spoiler shell and aero crown, Everest lugs, Campag drop outs, Silva brake bridge

I plan to build the purplish/yellow Professional with DA7400, Cinelli cockpit with panto'ed stem and a couple Ringle upgrades.

KNWU frame: I plan to build it up all European.

Sweet like candy, I hope you like =>

4704191218_858b208756_b.jpg

4824321774_ea75553005_b.jpg

Hi People,

I showed you some lush bikes, now you enlighten me on Dutch bikes in the UK. Are they really 'curiosities', like the topics title suggests?

Could you get Batavus? Overhere they are as big as Gazelle.

Speaking of Gazelle: AA-Super frame >>>

4577404859_df33953bc4_b.jpg

Dayum Melv where do you source these great nos frames?? The Duell's colour scheme is pretty gayish but I'd rock it!!

Hi Koen,

Of the frames shown on this page only the purplish/yellow Batavus is NOS. All other frames are 'only' VGC :) I think I got most through the same way you get your frames, but you will understand they weren't here from one day on the other. Patience is a virtue.

The Duell has a quite extrovert paint indeed. Personally I do appreciate it. Tubing is Columbus TSX. There are cutouts and engravings allover and it uses a Cinelli spoiler shell.

4704193994_62f1a9d108_z.jpg

On the Reus: Last summer I had it equipped with Campagnolo Victory parts, C-Record/Omega wheels and Philippe cockpit. I made a lot of miles with it. I really liked the ride. Absolutely among the best bikes I've ridden. Agile and responsive with still a very decent level of comfort. The frame shows being nicely crafted with a quite pragmatic straightforward attitude using Reynolds 531c. Built by Jan de Reus.

4824318592_5e7054c513_z.jpg

The Gazelle AA-Super was the SWB model in the Champion Mondial line up. This early example comes with monostay and to make room for the rearwheel the seattube has an indent.

4577405845_86e3b2d184_z.jpg

Back