1971 Campagnolo Sport Crank- was there a group set?

Cheesedisease

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

I'm planning to use a Campagnolo 3320 Sport crankset on my next bike. Just wondering if there was a full group? Or if it would have just been coupled with components of that era? I looked on Velobase unconclusively. Also, what kind of bike was the Sport crankset aimed at? Race, or more leisure?

Not sure if I'll go for all of the exact period (1971) or not, the mystery frame I have is unidentifiable so far and early 1960s anyway, but curious to know what might be correct. I'm probably going to use a Mafac brakeset, and I'd love to find a steel bar and stem, South of France or Bailey(?) shape, but I guess that's competely the wrong era too.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who has any comments, or suggestions.

Cheers,

Dan

That chainset looks like it has 52/42 rings so more for racing rather than touring. It's lower range, below the Record chainset. Campagnolo did lower range derailleurs like the Valentino etc that would go with the Sport chainset, but there wasn't a groupset as such.

Have a look at the bikes on http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/, for examples of bikes from that era. It was more common to have parts from a range of manufacturers.

Yeah I was looking through classiclightweights, it's a fascinating resource. I was figuring things were more of a mish mash at that point. And that gives me more freedom sticking things together, which is fun!

Cheers.

i have a campagnolo 'sport' headset,chromed steel like the record,but without the 'campagnolo brev.' script around the circumference of the cups.

dated late sixties/early seventies i think.

Very nice bit of chromed steel.

FWIW, I always used a steel lower headset cup and race on my 1980s lo-pro time trial bikes and an alloy top set. Alloy on the bottom used to wear out very quickly with the ultra-short head tube.

The trick was finding a shop that would sell it like this! J D Whisker & Dauphin Sport were the only willing retailers.

That's interesting. Yeah the chap that sold me it said he also had owned a Sport group. And I think that it consisted of crank, headset and derailleur maybe.

Did headsets move to alloy just as a weight thing, or is it also about the different properties of the metals? Flex? etc.? Any disadvantages of steel other than weight?

Cheers!

It's mainly for lighter weight, I think, but the alloy cups still had steel bearing surfaces, so in theory there shouldn't be any difference in bearing wear compared with steel cups.

Back