Tressostar

Steve
My dad says, he never had to go to these lengths, with my stabilisers in 1968. Obviously i was kicking out some power for a 4 year old, but not quite Chris Hoy wattage. :LOL: .

I reckon this putting-shellac-on-cotton-bar-tape is largely a modern thing, something that's only come about within the last few years. It certainly wasn't used by racing cyclists, top pros used to get new tape for every race, and I think it was never used in the UK.

Using shellac to stick on tubs is described in detail in the book "Bicycle Mechanics, In Workshop and Competition" by Steve Snowling.

Of late I've used cloth tape from Dunholm Mills or similar haberdashery shop available in a variety of colours. A bit thinner than Tressostar but non-sticky so it will come off for washing or re-use. I don't like seeing sticky tape holding cloth tape on so I start at the stem end and work downwards, tucking the loose end into the bar end and securing with the bar-end plug. Applied slightly damp it will shrink to a tight fit.

I had a phase in the past of working in 2 halves, from the bar end and from the stem and tucking the ends under the brake lever rubber hoods. If the tape wasn't sticky backed, a bit of sticky tape could then be used to secure the ends which is concealed under the hood.

One problem I used to have with some 'cheaper' cloth tapes was a length of thread from the lower part of the roll being stuck to the bit being applied so that the side of the tape became frayed as it was fitted - if you see what I mean! If it's happened to you you'll know! I don't think this will happen with Tressostar as it's a quality item.

I remember an article by Reg Harris in 'Cycling (and Mopeds then!)' around 1957/58 describing how he fitted his tubulars for track use using shellac. It must have taken ages! Several thick coats, each left to dry etc. etc. Put me off using tubs for years as I thought this was the only way to fit them - until I discovered Dunlop rim cement!

There are several bikes I've seen on websites with shellac on the bar tape. I must admit I've never seen this done until I saw these websites and I find it a rather strange practice. I wonder where it started?

Steve Snowling, an old associate of mine, seen here in a road race in 1968 in South Bucks RC colours. He's the one on the left with Steve Wilson, another old High Wycombe clubmate. Taken before he became a famous mechanic.

Sorry to go a bit off-topic.

Attachments

• ReadingHandicapSteveSnowlingSteveWilson.A.jpg
    ReadingHandicapSteveSnowlingSteveWilson.A.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,427
I had a phase in the past of working in 2 halves, from the bar end and from the stem

I read your method described as being the very one used by Alex Singer on the Velo Orange blog! They're also advocates of Shellac-ing.

I tried this recently and ended up a touch obsessed. Every variety I tried, however natural, turned white tape a disgusting brown, yellow, or at best, (excuse the description) light urine colour!!! (which is what I settled on!) I was told it may be a reaction to the acid in the glue on the tape but I'm not 100% convinced by that.

It actually feels okay though, just looks a bit dulled down, certainly spoils white tape. It also still gets dirty and doesn't clean up that well. But it does stop it getting quite so soaked in the rain. I now, as a result, also know all about artist quality shellac, amber shellac, clear shellac (it isn't!) and cloudy white french shellac... I guess useless knowledge is always the minimum win from experimenting!

So, if anyone really wants to try some, I could probably post a jar of some clear or amber! I think it goes off though, but is fairly recently bought so might be okay.

Back