Sedis Chains - Where are they now

kula

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
So what's happened to Sedis chains, gears started slipping last night, thoughts of new chain, cassette and chainring entered the mind.
Testing the wear rate it's well within the 75% rate, so a close inspection reveals a missing roller from one of the links.
Luckily I never throw the extra links away so have replaced the offending link and am shifting like the old days again.

Now as I rate the sedis chains, I thought about getting another one or two.
So where have they gone. Some hit or other on google suggests they been consumed by SRAM.

What I'm after is a 7/8 speed chain that's better than Shimano, but not going to make me cough when I see the price.

Please suggest away...

Steve Kish":3rlky13q said:
Sedisport chains were great.

FWIW, KMC ones are better than both Shimano and SRAM .... and cheaper! :cool:

Agreed

9sp KMC works lovely on both my campag 8sp drivetrains (and pimpy gold on the nag!)

Thanks, had a look last night at the KMC chains, will give them a go upon all the recomendations.

One thing about newer chains with these quick link things. I've always joined mine together as they are all pre quick links, can I still do that or is rivetting the chain not the done thing anymore.

don't mind using them if they they are easy to get off again, but was wondering if I had a roller breakage again, is it okay remove the link and rejoin the chain in the old time honoured fashion.

From what I've heard KMC actually manufacture chains for a lot of other brands, so there's probably not a lot of difference between a KMC chain and a "brand X" chain made by KMC. I have found KMC chains to be somewhat variable in quality.

When it comes to joining chains check with the manufacturer to see what they recommend. Some recommend you only use joining links and some that you must use a specific new pin when joining links. For myself I can't see any reason not to use the quick link thingies as they get the job done. When I've had problems it's never been one of those links.

In the 1980s when I was racing, I used a Maillard Dural 6-speed block and to avoid peg-hooking from stretched chains, I used to renew my Sedisport chain every 250 race miles.

As this was costing a bit, I wrote to Sedis and asked if I could buy it in bulk, expecting about 10-metre lengths.

They quoted me a 100-metre length as the smallest that they could sell and my calculation of this length lasting until I was about 175 years old clinched the deal as a 'no goer'. :(

I'd recommend a Connex 808 chain - works smoothly with the Super Record drivetrain on my Gios. Once you get the knack of a quicklink, they make removal and cleaning a lot easier.

Back