1950 Claud Butler Fixie

MartyP

Dirt Disciple
Hi There,
New on this today and thought i'd share a bit about my latest project...

Got back into bikes when I came across my great uncle's old Claud Butler road bike, covered in Rat S**t in a barn on my parent's farm...

The first thing I noticed was the T.F. Blumfield flip-flop flanged rear hub laced to the period 26 x 1 1/4 Dunlop racing rims - the 'Fixie' project was born!

It was in a pretty sad state but after getting it home and starting to clean it down, I did the numbers - built May 1950! I thought for a moment that I should keep it original but nah.. turns out Uncle Jack rebuilt it in the late 60s early 70's anyway - adding some contemporary parts and so I guess what I'm doing is the natural progression and phasing of all things relevant...

So off came the Blumels mudguards, simplex gears, huret gear levers, road bars, soft saddle etc etc and set to cleaning up the bits that would stay like the Milremo stem, SR Apex crankset, aforementioned wheels and Weinmann caliper brakes before the rebuild could start.

Luckily the bike came with a pair of original alloy drops so these went on for a kind of velo/fixed look with a pair of new Kenda amber wall tyres which would work pretty well with the black frame and cream head stock detailing so naturally went for tan grip tape and honey tan saddle for the real retro look!

Motion via the 52t SR 118mm chainwheel was retained but matched up to a BMX type 18t freewheel and 16t fixed sprocket and chrome chain for a bit of 'bling' - viola! The fixie was born... all I had to do was stop it now with the help of the refurbed Wienmann's but connected to a couple of Tektro cross bar levers which look the part...

So there we have it - usable bit of history with a retro/modern slant...

Thanks,
Martin.

Attachments

• Claud Fixie Racer 1.jpg
    Claud Fixie Racer 1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 4,375
  • Claud Fixie Racer 2.jpg
    Claud Fixie Racer 2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 4,375
  • Claud Fixie Racer 3.jpg
    Claud Fixie Racer 3.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 4,375
  • Claud Fixie Racer 5.jpg
    Claud Fixie Racer 5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 4,376
Please get rid of the hearing aid beige tape and saddle. It's like a very pretty girl that can't afford a nice dress being told to make do with her dad's boilersuit.

A bike of such quality as yours should have a Brooks saddle and cloth tape.

Otherwise, nice job!

I was dreading another cappuccino and dayglo pink horror, but it looks very neat. Good job.

The saddle wouldn't be my choice, but that's one of the 'what's comfortable is good' things. No point hating riding it just for style's sake.

Thanks Guys,
Points about Seat & Tape, agreed - not ideal but better than nothing while I save up for a B17 & matching Tape... Sorry!

M.

Yes it will but there always seems to be something better to spend 60 quid on and every half decent one on the 'bay seems to go for nearly that anyway!

Cheers for the positive comments though!
M.

I have a B17 honey on my Carlton Flyer, if Im wheeling it through town people do stare and comment on the saddle - looks bloody classy! Go for it money well spent. They break in a bit easier too so Im told.

Back