Dumpster find: Gazelle Champion Mondial

PIGEON

Retro Guru
Yesterday evening while I was walking home, I discovered a discarded roadbike next to a dumpster. When I walked up to it I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was a Gazelle Champion Mondial, a quality Dutch roadbike made with Reynolds 531 tubes. It looked pretty small, but I took it home and after measuring the seat tube it turned out to be a 54cm frame, while I normally ride 55cm, so it's very close to my size.
The condition however is nothing to get excited about, the paint and decals are pretty poor and the frame has got numerous spots of surface rust. I've also never owned a bike with components of so many different manufacturers :shock: among the names I could make out are:

handlebar: GB
seatpost: Titan
brake levers: Weinmann
brake calipers: Mafac
chainset: SR Apex
shifters: Suntour
derailleurs: Campagnolo Record
hubs: Suzue

Anyway, here's some pictures:

gazelle1.jpg

gazelle2.jpg

gazelle3.jpg

gazelle4.jpg

fingers":3dg6vs86 said:
Good find... As long as it wasnt just parked up!!!

Good point, if it wasn't actually in the skip that could be theft or at least "stealing by finding". Actually taking something from a skip is also technically theft under English law.

Nice bike though.

The front wheel would hardly spin, I had to lift the front end off the ground to get it home and there are bird droppings on the handlebar right where your hands go. It's not unimaginable that some one would throw a rust bucket like this out is it :LOL:

GarethPJ":85pvo2sh said:
fingers":85pvo2sh said:
Good find... As long as it wasnt just parked up!!!

Good point, if it wasn't actually in the skip that could be theft or at least "stealing by finding". Actually taking something from a skip is also technically theft under English law.

Nice bike though.

actually taking stuff from a skip isn't against the law. putting stuff in a skip that isn't yours is though.

What a beauty! What a spec! You'll have more fun restoring that with a budget of fifty quid than you will if you spend a fortune. Go on...GET OUT THE WIRE WOOL AND BRASSO!

What a beauty! What a spec! You'll have more fun restoring that with a budget of fifty quid than you will if you spend a fortune. Go on...GET OUT THE WIRE WOOL AND BRASSO!

Back