It makes me mad.....

Oh no, thought of another - 'rear der' for rear mech (an abbreviation in itself but one that I can go with, possibly because it has been around for a while?

Reflecting on, the two cycling related ones that drive me most to distraction are 'campy' and 'fixie/fixer' probably because there is a perfectly good abbreviation for both that is widely understood and long standing.

Anyway, looks like I'm suffering from Grumpy Old Man Syndrome so I really better stop here.

I think that's the Off Topic 'Eye Candy - Not Work Safe' thread - nothing to see here!

Grumpy old man syndrome= GOMS

Got a bit of GOMS going on there.
Ignore him he has GOMS.
GOMS it must be spreading.

lol imo ect ect

rumpfy":1c5uf9q2 said:
I don't find those abbreviations as irritating as 'whats it worth' posts or people looking for info on their base model pos 1999 GT Karakoram thinking that is's A) rare and B) vintage.

:evil: Totally agree.

Though I do think that people can be forgiven for overly abbreviating names etc (note its 'etc' Lid :)) when they're typing on a web site such as this, as long as in verbal conversation they use the full and correct terms.

At least when you read things on a forum like this you don't have to worry about that irritating upward inflection that people are putting on every spoken sentence that makes it sound like a question (blame the australians apparently) or pointless verbal punctuation that is supposed to indicate severity or sincerity but just shows the person off to be thick – not being funny, but to be perfectly honest, like, that drives me soooo mad, you know what I mean.

and don't start me on text shorthand. 'L8Rs' :evil:

pete_mcc":q8cgs4x0 said:
At least when you read things on a forum like this you don't have to worry about that irritating upward inflection that people are putting on every spoken sentence that makes it sound like a question (blame the australians apparently) or pointless verbal punctuation that is supposed to indicate severity or sincerity but just shows the person off to be thick – not being funny, but to be perfectly honest, like, that drives me soooo mad, you know what I mean.

and don't start me on text shorthand. 'L8Rs' :evil:

Agree about the text thing. When a particular mate (M8?- Took me about a month of puzzlement before I got it) texts me I have to often ask a passing child to translate the damn thing.

Here's a real story. Once got a text from my youthfull-text-only ridding Mates about the next days ride:...Weather pants...then allot of stuff I could not decifer.
So next day there I was in the rain wearing the most rain proof of clothing I had.......and like a builder no show, by anybody.
(Pants means crap).
I rode anyway.

It was a real GOMS moment.

Back