Saeco CAD3 Wheelset Idea's??

Nathan

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Ok so... I'm planning on bidding (and winning) a late 90's CAD3 Saeco Cannondale and its pretty much had no love for the last few years, so it looks like it'll need almost a full house upgrade to make it nice and reliable on longer (60mi+) rides.

I've settled on replacing the flogged out RX100 stuff with 8spd Dura-Ace bit by bit as parts become available on here or the bay.

I'm a bit lost for a wheelset though.
I will try and track down some carbon Spinergy 4 spokers for the cruisy flat saturday morning coffee rides, but I want something nice and light/stiff for the longer distance rides and for climbing hills.

So could you guys give me some idea's on so nice retro climbing wheels please? :)

Retro climbing wheels? Mavic Heliums would fit the bill for a mid-late-nineties Tour bike. Perhaps a little fragile for everyday use, and the oddball 26-spoke front rims are very hard to replace.

Or build yourself a pair of 32h/28h Open 4 or Open Pro rims onto Dura-Ace or Ultegra hubs. Nothing wrong with orthodoxy done well.

For a late-nineties bike I think I'd go 9-speed - but that's just me.

Thanks for the responses.
I checked the catalogue and the bike originally came with 9 speed Dura-Ace, so I'll try and upgrade things to that when the parts come up and bank balance allows.

Yeah I had considered Dura-Ace hubs to Open Pro's. The catalog suggests Dura-Ace/CXP30's 24h front and 28h rear. Will do a bit more research.

Back