NATIONAL STATUS EVENT - Forest of Dean Aftermath

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Just got in from a great day out, legs tingling from nettle (and wasp!) stings but generally my body is humming with good humour and warm memories.

More later, including photos, but post up your memories of riding "the best singletrack in the UK" (trademark application submitted by the owner of the phrase).

I should add the list of riders and bikes while I remember:

John - 1996 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer
Chris - NOS 1988 Gary Fisher Mt Tam
Rob - 1991 Kona Lavadome
Simon - 2000ish GT Psyclone
James - 1986 Raleigh Maverick
Del - 1992 Gary Fisher SuperCalibre
Keith - Klein Fervor/Breezer Sky
Jon - Orange Vitamin T
Me - 1992 Rocky Mountain Altitude

Sad to have missed this :cry: How was the weather?
I ummed and ahhed this morning, total washout here so decided against it what with my knackered elbow.
If the weather was lovely i don't want to know ;)

The weather was fine, you should of made the effort ;)

Think a top day was had by all even if we did have to wait an eternity for our lunch.

Big thanks to Del for showing us the off piste version of the Forrest.

There really is some good stuff in there.

Chris.

What a Corker :cool:

Thanks to Del for his best of FOD guide, we have been through the most delicious single track that you could possibly imagine. It all started at a trail centre which was full of bouncy bouncy thing that people call modern bikes :roll: with a few strange looking people on old bikes that were gathering in one corner of the car park , we set off at 10:30 into instant stingers and ferns to reveal flowing single track ,followed by several turn lefts into hedges which again lead to more amazing single track runs through the forest. We didn’t even bump into anyone all day which was perfect.

Pub lunch was great once again (if you ordered sandwiches) but was missing the Daisy Duke shorts this time, Next time I will have to ring up in advance for special orders ;)

Overall a great day that still confirms that all the retro rides I keep attending are getting better and better. The Maverick held up well and let nothing stop it, John was rather worried with being in front of me down the drop of certain death for some reason :LOL:

Here are some of my pics and unfortunately the ones I took in the forest are all blurred so binned them :sad:

Cant wait for the next one, maybe we should do a 4 seasons of FOD

FODJuly2010001.jpg

FODJuly2010014.jpg

FODJuly2010016.jpg

FODJuly2010015.jpg

The Guv'nor could resist the charms of the Maverick !

FODJuly2010017.jpg

Before
FODJuly2010003.jpg

After
FODJuly2010020.jpg

Robin - early 90s Kona Lavadome

Rob (rc200ti) 91 Cinder Cone. :D

Fantastic riding and company. Have a few poor pics which I will try and get up later... off for apple-pie and custard now.
Thanks folks for the excellent guiding and route. And what a great selection of bikes.

JV doesn't look so convinced of the Maverick's charms here.....

Attachments

• Unsure.jpg
    Unsure.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 4,129
Ed thats unfair on the Maverick ................. At this point didnt you advise John on holding his stomach in for the photo or something along these lines :LOL:

My first RR...and I couldn;t have wished for better....though I do wish I had not gone out for the extra 30mins..hmmm seemed like hours

So, my thanks to John for the medium that enabled me to go, Del for the excellent guiding...and eveyone for ( continually ) waiting for me..

And a very special thanks to Ed for pushing me along...mentally and pyhsically..( despite having no granny ring )

I am looking forward to joining another soon.

Though will plan to not overestimate my fitness, underestimate the terrain....add some FS..ohhh and wear gloves...

:LOL:

Some pics..if this works!
Add your own captions :D

Attachments

• FOD1.jpg
    FOD1.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 4,086
  • FOD2.jpg
    FOD2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 4,086
  • FOD4.jpg
    FOD4.jpg