Show us your late 90s DH bikes

BCD carbon frames are freakin awsome. Up there with lahar IMO.

It's a shame the carbon looks so "rugged" or I'm sure they would have an easier time pulling people away from IBIS who has that clean car production look to em.

I know what you mean, the tubes and rear swingarms on mine are perfect, bu the "wrap" around the headset and what you might traditionally call the seattube are not pretty.

Course it doesn't have a scratch on any of the carbon so looks as it did when I got it 10 years back.

He does web design now :roll:

Bernie":1cozj4y7 said:
I know what you mean, the tubes and rear swingarms on mine are perfect, bu the "wrap" around the headset and what you might traditionally call the seattube are not pretty.

Course it doesn't have a scratch on any of the carbon so looks as it did when I got it 10 years back.

He does web design now :roll:

Unfortunately the industry caught up with him. The "lugs" he uses on stuff like you mentioned always have had that butch look to em, but people that have seen hand done work with carbon are used to it. It's the outsiders who just go off what they are fed to them by marketing that thing it's a quality issue.

Wonder if he will ever run with the 29er dh frames... as no one else has the balls to.

He did do a few runs, half the problem was DH specific tyres not being available in 29 inch.

The current Syndicate team bike has a carbon front triangle - first to do so in DH. Reckon in the next few years we'll have DH specific 29 inch tyres, but we know who tried it first.

Damn it, I always forget about the GTs, will teach me to make rash statments without thinking. The Lahar was another bike floating around at the same time, that had an integral gearbox as per Honda but he only did one size and I'm a gangly bugger

oldlahar.jpg

modern one looks much nicer although that backend just does not look strong enough.

Lahar.jpg

There was another guy who rode a "plastic" resin bike with titanium in the layup who rode in the US NORBA series - wish I had a picture as that bike.

jimmy5willy":1qjzyzss said:
Bernie":1qjzyzss said:
The current Syndicate team bike has a carbon front triangle - first to do so in DH. quote]

What about the GT's LOBO and STS? They were raced DH weren't they?

Yea GT had a full carbon bike as well. Lahar are beautiful. SOmeone has one on here.

The new santa cruz isn't entirely carbon like you mentioned. I think those half carbon bikes are kind'a hackish IMO. It's like an easy way out because the chainstays are the hardest thing to design for carbon as it's an area of extreme wear from the chain.

I'm trying to think but there was a few thermoplastic frames also around at some point for dh. I know GT made em but that was for BMX.

Carbon is still strong as hell, but the impact resistance leaves a lot to be desired. People claim it's getting better, but unlike metal which dents, carbon will start fracturing and cracking. It's kinda even on pro and con's which I think why carbon has been on this edge for so many years. With the new v10's utilizing carbon, I think it's finally going to hit the main stream where most companies will have a top end carbon rig. Only time will tell. Until then, I say who cares about what the new companies are making... I'm still drooling over those BCD's :)

Bernie":3ehu5z83 said:
Damn it, I always forget about the GTs, will teach me to make rash statments without thinking. The Lahar was another bike floating around at the same time, that had an integral gearbox as per Honda but he only did one size and I'm a gangly bugger

oldlahar.jpg

modern one looks much nicer although that backend just does not look strong enough.

Lahar.jpg

There was another guy who rode a "plastic" resin bike with titanium in the layup who rode in the US NORBA series - wish I had a picture as that bike.

BTW, those Lahar's (sorry If I'm misspelling, but I haven't double checked the spelling once yet lol) are one of only a few true rearward travel bikes. The Canfield F1, and Canfield Jedi are both reward path bikes. I have to say, this is definitely the route I'm taking for my next frame. Lahar, Jedi, or a custom geo karpiel. Thinking the jedi will be the win for me as it doesn't take an additional 500 that I could spend on custom geometry for the rohloff hub thats needed with the lahar.

Got any more pics of that bcd? :))

BTW did he ever get that 29er up and running? Been awhile since I've looked around his site.

Edit : might I add, that 2nd lahar is freakin tits. Absollllutely MAXED on parts. Lovin it. I bet it has caused more than a few crashes at ski resorts. (Worse than a hot chick walking by I'm thinking). lol. I'd probably be one of those guys that my buddies would say, "dude that chick is smoking hot"... I'd be like dude.... that carbon lahar... my god. lol :)~ Theres always many chicks.. but o so few dead sexy hand made frames!

Some of the parts on my frame (the setapost support for example) are just ridiculously overbuilt and could be half as thick and be fine. I remember a friend from home hitting the support with a hammer (beer and hammers, never a good idea) and the wooden handle snapping as it just didn't deflect at all. I've ridden a couple of race seasons since then and its still fine. I don't think the impact resistance is that much of an issue, its that it fails so immediately without warning and you'll never know till after you come to laying on the floor covered in shards of carbon :)

That latter Lahar must weigh bugger all as the wall thickness is so thin in places. Daft as it sounds as I own a fairly unusual bike, but that frame still makes me think "oooh, that looks a bit odd"

Very interesting. I def know carbon would handle a flat or round impact like a tree or log, but I'm def curious to what would happen is you crushed it into a jagged rock etc. I curious to why companies making carbon fiber bikes don't make a vid showing durability in such tests. May have to email a few of em and see if they can post a vid of such.

Anyone still riding their carbon gt downhill frames or have most of you guys got a primary beater rig and save that for more "special" rides or trips.

Back