1996 Mystery GT RTS

Oh, you mean a pivot down by the rear axle?
That's the only thing I notice. Interesting...

Pickle's is just like mine. Do 2's and 3's have any frame differences?

yup that was only on the teams and 1's in the early years
i assume the 3 got that in its last years
2/3 main frames are the same as far as i know but the early 3 had a steel rear end

jimmy5willy":n1e0zdho said:
gm1230126":n1e0zdho said:
Decals are 1996, what's your serial number? And YES they were available in a ball burnished finish in 1996.

Frame number is SK6C19666. Where are you getting the info on frame colours? I looked on mtbkatalog.de and didn't see one on there... :?

I have all the GT catalogs....the mtbkatalog site does not. You can also get some of the color info on bikepedia depending upon the year. The 6 after the SK also confirms that your frame is a 1996 model.

mikee":3nt8su21 said:
Pickle
that looks sweet m8
definatley better with the low front end

Cheers. I have an OE black KORE stem that I was thinking of putting on, but whilst the reach is ok (130mm) it has a bit too much rise on it. Quite like the GT flip flop look though. I have just fitted some mint skinwall Tioga Psychos now, finishes it off a treat. Original forks were RS Quadra 21's, but the Mag 21's ride matches the rear shock movement so much better.

jimmy5willy":3nt8su21 said:
Oh, you mean a pivot down by the rear axle?
That's the only thing I notice. Interesting...

Yes, this is the only difference in frame design. See pics.

jimmy5willy":3nt8su21 said:
Pickle's is just like mine. Do 2's and 3's have any frame differences?

Only the frame grade, ie 7000 and 7005.

Attachments

• p10106661_799.jpg
    p10106661_799.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 3,506
  • dscn2221_113.jpg
    dscn2221_113.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 3,505
Looking at past catalogs all RTS 1,2 and three frames with the aluminum rear triangle have the pivot in front of the rear dropouts. Drawing a comparison to a frame with a chromoly rear triangle is like comparing apples and oranges and really serves no purpose. There really is no difference on the frame references between 7000 and 7005 either. One year they refer to it as "7000 series" and the next year they are just more specific in calling out 7005.

There of coarse are other major differences between the RTS-2 and 3. Front shock was different and most all other components were different

Back in 96/97, the RTS-2 was spec'd with Q21's and LX throughout apart from an XT rear mech.

The RTS-3 had STX and, IIRC, an RST front fork.

i'm pretty sure the first version of the ali backend had NO extra
pivot
also the first rts 1 had a steel backend

mikee":884haiet said:
i'm pretty sure the first version of the ali backend had NO extra pivot also the first rts 1 had a steel backend

1993 was first year the RTS was introduced and all 1,2 and 3 had a chromoly rear end. 1994 when they went to aluminum rears they all had the link in front of the rear dropout.

Pickle":3lyu92j9 said:
Back in 96/97, the RTS-2 was spec'd with Q21's and LX throughout apart from an XT rear mech.

The RTS-3 had STX and, IIRC, an RST front fork.

This one was mainly LX spec'd.
It still has the LX derailleurs and hubs, even the original front tyre by the looks of it, but he shifters have been DOWNgraded to a modern gripshit srt setup.

I think to save the squabbling I'll just say its an RTS 3 that's been pimped to look more like a 2. ;)
Doesn't matter what it was now anyway. I've decided that this one is not going to be put back to original condition and spec, but a slightly more modern set up, -just not over the top. Probably a yellow Judy SL fork, decent wheelset and some v-brakes. Syncros stem is on it's way over from the US as we speak. Sorry purists! :p

Looking for an alloy seat stay section, or complete alloy rear end for a GT RTS if anyone can help???? Pleeeeeesssseeeeee :)

Back