WTD - Shimano Ax/Ex DYNA-drive pedal adapters, Retro 80's

mightymidget

Dirt Disciple
Calling out to all you Retro Riders.

I'm after some pedal adapters that convert the 80's Dura-Ace AX or 600 EX cranks that used a system called DYNA Drive. The design placed the foot approx 1.5cm below the virtual axle, positioning the rider lower on the bike, resulting in less drag and a lower point of gravity.

Problem is you have to use special Dyna drive pedals that have a large axle. The adapters I'm after convert the cranks to accept standard 9/16 pedals.

Elev12k has kindly offered to get some made for me but obviously this will cost quite a bit and I'm undecided if these cranks are worth the trouble. Just hoping that someone might have some buried in the shed somewhere which would save a lot of hassle ;)

Be good to get these cranks working, as there 165mm which is about perfect for me.

Hope someone can help,

Cheers, Andy.

Unfortunately bikejunk hasn't got any. simonquinlank is searching but doubtful.

Got a few other leads on the go, starting to feel like an private investigator :D

Anyone else out there....

You know I have them, but they are pricey due to that they are custom jobbies

Elev12k":1dzufil6 said:
You know I have them, but they are pricey due to that they are custom jobbies

I know mate, and it's good to have that option ;) Just I'm undecided if these cranks are worth that much to me.

I'm not really in a rush, so if all leads dry up I'll stump up the dosh for the custom jobbies...

Personally aero pedals are the way with clips and of course correct blue aero straps. Instead of getting pedal adapters to ride with clipless I'd use it as a nice excuse to buy some Quoc Pham shoes, or just ride with your favourite semi brogues ;-)

Anyway, best I have found if you must use the adapters (and HAVE to have Shimano ones) is this chap. I have not made contact, scroll down - they have a 'new' flash so looks hopeful:

http://www.bikeville.com/pedals.html

I have some very good pedals here and there are often NOS ones available at reasonable price in the usual places - for me they are a key part of the overall design of the group so I stick with 'em.

bikejunk":3nwekwh7 said:
Personally aero pedals are the way with clips and of course correct blue aero straps. Instead of getting pedal adapters to ride with clipless I'd use it as a nice excuse to buy some Quoc Pham shoes, or just ride with your favourite semi brogues ;-)

Anyway, best I have found if you must use the adapters (and HAVE to have Shimano ones) is this chap. I have not made contact, scroll down - they have a 'new' flash so looks hopeful:

http://www.bikeville.com/pedals.html

I have some very good pedals here and there are often NOS ones available at reasonable price in the usual places - for me they are a key part of the overall design of the group so I stick with 'em.

Thanks for the link. God knows how you found that :D

I love the look of aero pedals, problem is I intend to use these cranks on my TimeTrial bike and really need to run my DuraAce pedals and Race shoes.

Wanted to try 165 cranks and these seemed really cool (I just love to mix modern with old, keeps um talking in at the race HQ :LOL: ). Also the older high-end stuff seems to be of a better quality than the modern equivalent.

Assuming I did run the correct aero pedals how would that effect my seat height adjustment?? Am I correct in assuming that with the aero pedals you need to drop your seat by 5mm to compensate for the under-hang of the pedals (think that's the idea of the system, to lower the whole body).

Therefore if I’m converting from 170mm cranks to these in 165mm cranks with the correct dyna pedals then I would guess that I wouldn't need to touch my seat height. Normally when going to a shorter crank you would add the equivalent deduction in crank length to your seat height.

Am I right??

Back