The hills are too steep! (or am I just unfit?)

Glosbiker

Retro Newbie
I'm the proud owner of a 1986 Roberts road bike with a Campag Victory groupset. I've returned to cycling after a two year lay-off with neck, shoulder and Achilles tendon issues. Hills round the Cotswolds tend to be short and sharp and I'm struggling at the moment.

My chainset is a 53/42 with a 13/20 six speed cassette on the back. Clearly cyclists used to be made of far sterner stuff!

What's the best solution to making the hills a little easier? A Victory Triple chainset: a 39 low ring and less manly cogs on the back or a modern triple?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks

Glosbiker

1986 Roberts road bike

1989 Kona Lava Dome

My road bike runs with a decidedly wimpy 38, 48T set up and with the 11-24 cogset. I'm not all about speed, more about survival!

Find it odd that Road bike front chainrings seem to have stuck at 52/42 for many years despite the fact that the rear cogs have dropped from 13t max to 12t and then to 11t. MTBs switched from 48 to 44t when the small cog moved to 11t so it seemed sensible to do the same with the road bike to maintain the same spread and not kill myself on the climbs.

To be honest with a 1989 Roberts I'm guessing you're not aiming for a place at the front of the peleton so I say go for the easy gears and enjoy!

I run a 12-21 block with a 39 and 50 up front -works well for me.

Most competitive cyclists would change their ratios to suit the course and the higher RPM of current biomechanical thinking wasn't really around in 1989. Seriously, I thik you're pushing ratios too big for the health of your knees.

It's just got a lot more complicated!

Just been doing a bit of research on new chainrings and it appears that the Campag Victory groupset had a BCD of 116mm, apparently quite unusual.

So i've got various options:

1. Buy a Victory triple chainset that's for sale in the US for £110!!! But wouldn't I need a new front changer?

2. Replace the existing double chainring for a new one (assuming the BB etc aren't unusual)

3. Go the whole hog and buy a Campag Champ triple chainring and front changer (and bottom bracket?), assuming it's compatible with a six speed sprocket set.

4. Buy a new bike....

Advice gladly received

Cheers

Glosbiker

Extra option - buy an excellent condition Campag triple off me! Can't remember the groupset - Veloce? - but for square taper and pretty traditional looking.

No scuffs to the cranks and no wear at all on the 52-42-32 rings. Not after much so PM me if interested (note I also have a Victory chainset and a couple of years ago searched for new rings to no avail, just a stupid Campag BCD)

Re: It's just got a lot more complicated!

You can actually fit a gearing that is about equivalent to a modern compact on your existing chainset, if you can find a small enough chainring. Victory and Triomphe preceded compact chainsets by about 20 years. (Good luck - rocking horse poo!)

Just fit another block. You should be able to run about a 25T cog on the existing system. See what www.campyoldy.co.uk has for sale.

For a triple you'll need a new rear mech aswell. Don't go there unless money is no object.

The new bike might be the best idea though.....
I'm running 50-34 on 12-26 10-speed (or even 13-29 when I go to the Alps) on my carbon bike which has no concessions to retro whatsoever! No retro bike can get near that range of gearing.

Glosbiker":wpwzqbhh said:
Just been doing a bit of research on new chainrings and it appears that the Campag Victory groupset had a BCD of 116mm, apparently quite unusual.

So i've got various options:

1. Buy a Victory triple chainset that's for sale in the US for £110!!! But wouldn't I need a new front changer?

2. Replace the existing double chainring for a new one (assuming the BB etc aren't unusual)

3. Go the whole hog and buy a Campag Champ triple chainring and front changer (and bottom bracket?), assuming it's compatible with a six speed sprocket set.

4. Buy a new bike....

Advice gladly received

Cheers

Glosbiker

I'm only in Cheltenham so if you fancy a few roadie rides to help with your fitness, drop me a line. I'm no elite rider so the pace definately won't be punishing :) You can put whatever gears you like on your bike but at the end of the day, its riding it that'll make you fitter.

And yeah, the hills round here can be bloody awful, beautiful views from the top though :)

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I'm not going to rush into anything but it looks like a new bike may well be on the cards before next spring.

All the best

Glosbiker

Hi Glosbiker!

Was in Fairford this weekend just gone to see some of my mates!

I have had the same thing recently - used to be a good hill climber but now I find my 42t a bit too hard on some climbs (Im lucky as I do have a 30t bail out inner on my LeMond, but hate to use it - only done so about 5 times in 9 years! lol!).

Back