1994 Merlin Titanium

stevec1975":1f53frd0 said:
Looking gooooood, if you want to get rid of your spare syncros cranks, I know someone who would be interested! :)

already in talks with someone who's interested in a parts swap. if that falls through i'll give u a PM. ;)

also most of my builds are concluding so i'm thinking i'll be having a parts clearout soon. :?

mfh126":1f53frd0 said:
Nice job, Frank! Those Bonty forks look great. I'd like to see it with the Syncros cranks and gold rings. Wink

What's the clamp-like device under your stem?

most likely it will end up with the first nicer set of Syncros cranks that has the black RF rings, but swapped with the gold Syncros rings, to continue the gold colour theme.

The RF stem is for threadless setup but uses an internal clamp that goes inside the steerer, kind of "quill" like. the lock ring you are referring to is used to load the headset. does that make sense?

if not, look here :LOL:

http://retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18384

RockiMtn":e6e3wz3o said:
mfh126":e6e3wz3o said:
Nice job, Frank! Those Bonty forks look great. I'd like to see it with the Syncros cranks and gold rings. Wink

What's the clamp-like device under your stem?

most likely it will end up with the first nicer set of Syncros cranks that has the black RF rings, but swapped with the gold Syncros rings, to continue the gold colour theme.

The RF stem is for threadless setup but uses an internal clamp that goes inside the steerer, kind of "quill" like. the lock ring you are referring to is used to load the headset. does that make sense?

if not, look here :LOL:

http://retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18384

Thanks -- it made sense, but I had a look anyway. ;) Quite a unique mechanism!

took the steed out on the annual Heart & Stroke foundation ride on the local expressway/parkway yesterday. weather was terrible, raining the night before and all morning. maybe half hour or so into the ride, it started to clear up. but it was still very wet and windy for most of the morning. of course the weather completely cleared up and the sun was out mid day, when the ride had completed. :roll:

with the poor weather, my very late start, and what seemed like an earlier cut off than last year, i only managed to do the 25k route, as opposed to the 50k route. really wanted to see how well i would do with the climbs compared to last year with the much heavier ETSX-70. :(

Attachments

• IMG_3698.JPG
    IMG_3698.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 2,149
  • IMG_3699.JPG
    IMG_3699.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 2,149
  • IMG_3671.JPG
    IMG_3671.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,148
  • IMG_3673.JPG
    IMG_3673.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,149
found myself a proper retro Merlin cycling beanie cap ;)

Attachments

• IMG_3817.JPG
    IMG_3817.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,069
  • IMG_3811.JPG
    IMG_3811.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 2,069
Couple of update shots, however not sure if this will be final although I had hoped it would. RF cranks went to the DeKerf and so I went with a set of Syncros forged cranks with rings. However the chain is hopping the middle ring, so might be too worn to use. :cry:

Not sure what to do now:

http://retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107640

Attachments

• IMG_3888.JPG
    IMG_3888.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 2,183
  • IMG_3889.JPG
    IMG_3889.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 2,183
I'm on a horrible nightshift with some really bouncey psychiatric patients in deepest Wiltshire ( Seen the cave trolls in Lord of the Rings? You get the picture. ) Your pictures of your fab bike have really cheered me up. I'm inspired for a ride now. Cheers mate!

:D thanks for the comment. glad that my project is has cheered up your day!

think i'll have to resort to using the NOS RF rings with the Syncros forged crank. can't have this bike performing sub par no matter how much i'd love to have the Syncros rings on it. :evil:

here's one for the album… *sigh*

Attachments

• IMG_3886.JPG
    IMG_3886.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 2,167
Some more Ti bling arrived, in gold flavour… so I swapped out the rings to some new Race Face ones, as I didn't want any sketchy shifting going on.

Attachments

• IMG_0712.JPG
    IMG_0712.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,057
Back