Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

Just done the whole thread, inspirational, thanks very much for all your effort with photos and wip never mind the actual work doing the jobs.

Hats off to you.

A little point / note to others, in old car bodywork lead was used for filling rather than brass due to the lower heat needing to be applied and the ability to work the lead whilst it is hot.

Thanks dude :cool:

Some garages still use lead – but probably not any that’s likely to fix your car through an insurance claim :LOL:

Some lead alloys are quite close to the oven temp for powder coat so be careful :-( having worked with lead for 17 years I have seen / had enough of it now and thought brass would look nicer :LOL:

WD :D

I will feel hollow and broken when this bike is finally finished it will be like watching the last episode of Magnum PI all over again.

Awesome

What a great project.

I am looking to get a nice retro Marin for some cycling this summer... get away and packpack with it...

Are there any good places you guys know of that I can pick up a nice ole marin?

Excellent work, cant wait to see the rest of it!

You didn’t expect it to be quick did you ? :LOL:

Well the weekend didn’t quite go to plan, but in-between house stuff (trip to IKEA etc) and painting wooden garden toys in prep for my daughters first birthday I actually managed to get a few little bits done on the bike :LOL: these updates are from over the last week or so :)

I found out that the SS shim washer on the headset was a bad idea as it was thin enough to jam in the threads making adjustment difficult (note to oneself – that’s why the washers they come with are thicker than the thread pitch :oops: :LOL:) still, gave me an excuse for a last photo of the tread seeing as how I have never owned one so neat – and it will stay that way as there is no tag washer to start to bugger the thing up :

DSC05261.jpg

But tightening the stem quill resulted in a damaged bolt due to a small burr on the hex drive stopping it going down the bottom of the hole (only noticed when it was to late :-() and a scuff on the top of the quill :-( but a pit of re-polishing sorted it all out :

DSC05265.jpg

DSC05345.jpg

(just ignore the grease, the bikes covered in it at the moment :LOL:)

The modified bolts and spreader washers fit well and allow the caps to seat home properly :

DSC05314.jpg

DSC05323.jpg

DSC05327.jpg

and the grooves in the back of the chain ring bolts line up … :oops: :LOL:

Front mech alignment has always bugged me (clamping it up, trying it, moving it etc) but I tried this with the long bolt and it was easy to do :

DSC05303.jpg

DSC05306.jpg

And a couple of the Ringle bling :

DSC05321.jpg

DSC05336.jpg

After realizing the springs were wrong handed on the rears, the cantis are now fully assembled and adjusted (never seem to remember it taking me so long to adjust the pads etc :oops:) with kool-Stop ‘Quik Klaw’s. No pictures though 23:30 was a bit late for that :LOL:

WD :D

Back