Amp fork disc brake adaptor?

B3":146c7j7e said:
I've had a look at the front first, the post mount can be done in 10mm aluminum, the ISO will need to be in 4mm stainless, due to distances between mount and disc and being able to use ISO hubs.

Thoughts please......

How did you derive the distances from the axle center to the AMP fork mounting holes? I simply measured them, but the results were only approximate. They were good enough, but I would have preferred to have the precise dimensions from an AMP drawing or other original source.

Vernier calipers & trigonometry. What I did was to use steel tubes of known diameters in the correct placea and measure the outside dimension then deduct the radius of each diameter off the total to give PCD's.

From what I recall, the seller of the fork and adapter in the forsale section said he got the schematics for the adapter directly from Amp Research. I'd hit them up and see if you can get the same said files.

Sorry for the delay in posting pics of the mount I have, been a bit preoccupied with my small child of late. Anyhow, here is the rear mount that I have.

Ian

Attachments

• hope-rear-back.JPG
    hope-rear-back.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 5,860
  • hope-rear-front.JPG
    hope-rear-front.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 5,861
AMP disc converter

Hello.

It was me who was selling the AMP forks with the adapter.

I am sorry to whoever said I took forever to reply to their email. I only use this site whenever I have something to sell or need to buy, which is rarely. I think that's fair enough isn't it?

I designed the bracket from the tech drawings that came straight from AMP in the States. If you contact them, they can send you tech drawings for the AMP fork brackets, the rear brackets, and their disc brake schematics. They could, if willing, also send you my CAD drawing which is fully dim'ed up as I sent it to them as a return of favour for them providing me with their drawings, for distribution to anyone else who was trying to do the same as me (i.e: you lot). I take no responsibility for failures either of the design or of the part though, I am not a component manufacturer.

From what I can see from the CAD plot above, looks like the thinking is correct. I'd make in alu plate and mount the adapter on the OUTSIDE of the AMP tabs and use spacers to bring the caliper back INWARDS towards the hub centre, otherwise you'll either need to use a flimsy bit of steel for the plate or you'll need to machine in a step to bring the plate back out to the plane of the AMP tabs.

My design is made to be CNC milled or wired out, then holes drilled, then anodised. Don't forget to anodise. As someone else here said, if you turned these brackets out in small batches in the UK, you'd need to be selling them for £50 upwards just to make it worth your while, so i thought my asking price with the forks was very reasonable.

I would post the drawings here but they're on my work PC and its Saturday. Email Brion at AMP and they'll sort you out a set of PDFs of my design. You can get IS dims by googling 'IRD dual banger mechanical brakes' and look for the PDF manual. Theres a diagram on there.

You can email me at andrewwolfenden@googlemail.com if you need a quicker response.

Hope this helps. PS can someone who knows this site better than me please post a link to my 'for sale' thread? There are some good reference pics of my adapter there. Ta.

It looks as though there could be a market out there for a few of these to be made up. I've no idea how to go about such things, but if anyone else is interested in this idea, perhaps we could pool our resources and see where it takes us?

I'm happy to contact brion at amp and see if he will pass on the tech specs, but it looks as though someone has had a good go at this already so maybe we should take these forward?

Ian

jamabikes":1fm8s707 said:
a local laser cutters should be able to knock these out in aluminium for not much cash at all.

That's what i have access to and a water jet cutter too. The problem is most companies have a minimum order, usually £50, but as i do batch runs of parts i could slip them in with exsisting orders.

ATB

John

AMP disc adapter drawings

Here is my drawing of the adapter. The spacers (2x reqd) in the box in the bottom right are required to bring the disc caliper back into the correct plane for the rotor.

Use M5 bolts with the bolt heads on the INSIDE of the fork leg, going through the existing fork plate, then through the adapter, then screw on a nut (Ny-loc or Loctite please) onto the outside.

Alternatively you could tap the holes in the adapter and just not use nuts at all, but i'd not reccomend it. Why risk stripping a thread? Remember this is only aluminium. Just use a nut instead and make the holes clearance (plain) as in the drawing. make sure you anodise. Try googling Malden Plating, they will do it for next to nothing.

Hope this helps. Feel free to distribute. I can supply a DXF file for your local machine shop too, just email me hello@andrewwolfenden.com.

This design isn't tested but should work just fine. Again, I take no responsibility though.

Attachments

• A Wolfenden AMP to IS disc adapter.jpg
    A Wolfenden AMP to IS disc adapter.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 5,328
Back