OWMTB 2010

That's why I was looking at car sharing Rob, it would be my only option, My car would do that trip loaded on one tank each way, about £140 total. With planning the bikes could probably be inside the car.

On top of that I still need clearance from the missus as it is only two weeks into the new school term at that point. We have ultraMiniKen starting Primary School, and miniKen starting High School. I don't think the request for leave will be popular.

The Ken":3s2me5oe said:
That's why I was looking at car sharing Rob, it would be my only option, My car would do that trip loaded on one tank each way, about £140 total. With planning the bikes could probably be inside the car.

On top of that I still need clearance from the missus as it is only two weeks into the new school term at that point. We have ultraMiniKen starting Primary School, and miniKen starting High School. I don't think the request for leave will be popular.

I could do a car share no bother TK and leave my sproggs at home or my alternative plan was to take the boys down to grandpa with the bike and get my pass that way :twisted:

I considered this as well but again, quiet long distance and as mentioned all comes down to money. But keen on this from long time and on the other hand OWMTB its UK based this year, next year could be even somewhere behind big water so this will put me off for sure.

I'll try and put this to the wife by the weekend, need a few days to build up the courage.

We could do 4 in my car but some stuff will need to go on the roof, rear seats aren't the comfiest, and it's not fast fully laden but I have 4 bike racks and could fit a 5th if needed, bit of a tour getting everyone but not too bad considering how far it is.

When I did Mayhem I drove down at 8pm on the Thursday night and got to eastnor at about 3am, that time avoided all the issues around birmingham. Mr K how much further (time wise) is Betws?

What would we want to do? Arrive on friday early hours, or arrive later and be less knackered but put up with more traffic?

I live in South Manchester, east of the M6 and it takes me 1hr 15mins to get to Betwys (via the M56/A55) door-to-door. I guess you'd come off the M6 directly (further north) onto the M56 near Warrington, then straight onto the A55 at Chester. This is a nice, fast dual carriageway to Conway, then left (south) 8 miles down the river to Betwys (where the recveption committee will be waiting for you!) :cool:

Mr K

All good - but stay on the A55 until Llandudno Junction, turn left off dual carriageway onto the A470 south - straight road 15 miles to A5 junction. Turn right and you are immediately into Betwys. This will be 20 minutes faster than the cros country route shown.

We've been there today to sort accommodation - PM me if you want bunkhouse + breakfasts reserved in our HQ.

Mr K

I could get dumped somewhere more handy TK however I seem to remember the cost of the full weekend was pretty steep, that was why I was looking at just the day to keep the cost down, what was the plan was it a full weekend?

I had a plan to take whole weekend but without accommodation to take costs little bit down. Sharing car sounds great but if comes to worst I could get my car which is not heavy on petrol. I think I could manage under £120 with return when I put bike inside.

My plan was to take off friday and travel down early doors to arrive for the friday afternoon or evening - overnight stay friday and saturday (possibly camping [small tent] :cry: ) travel back sunday morning/early afternoon.

To be honest people don't generally get much sleep when I am in a bunkhouse, I'm a bit noisy.

But I am adaptable so if more people would prefer to drive down friday evening I can change. What do you guys want to do?
I don't think I could drive 10 hours - do an event then drive back 10 hours, would need to add folk to my car insurance I guess and the cost of that might out weigh the cost of a nights kip.

Here is the schedule as I know it...

Friday afternoon - event registration followed by a social ride

Friday evening - BBQ, Mark Sinnett's Alpinestars show including special guest, themed Pub Quiz

Saturday morning - registration open again

Saturday late morning - paired trials challenge (first counting event for the World Championships

Saturday afternoon - XC challenge

Saturday evening - prize giving, crowning of the 2010 World Champ and post event party (mine's a pint of foaming, nut brown ale)

Sunday - voluntary social rides, can include visit to Penmacnho if enough interest

Back