Audiolab 8000a amplifer - Leeds

blacktights

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
As in photo. 8000a, dark grey (anthracite). Long story but basically I have been using this as a preamp with my denon dd reciever, fed from my pc straight into the 8000a cd input. Condition isn't great, lots of marks really, especially on the case. No idea if all the inputs work, but no reason to suspect any don't and every reason to suspect they work fine. Screws missing from case, also one of the loudspeaker binding posts is broken. Sounds fantastic. There isn't a 'jap' amp ever made that sounds even close to how good these amps sound. Collection only on this, simply because of the packing and weight. Am open to senisble offers, also open to swaps, am looking for various items, a lightweight 20'' mtb fram, large lcd montior, decent atx pc case, decent pci express graphics card, always open to offers and also happy to combine items for the right offer, Thanks, all the best.

Attachments

• 2024442-512m.jpg
    2024442-512m.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 337
Sale price

Hello there. I think its probably worth £60, looking at the price that they seem to go on ebay, granted some in better condition than this, but then again I have seen 'faulty' 8000a's go for double this. Thing is here that I am putting a pc together for the mrs and was more hoping to swap the amp for a good pci express card, or a decent sata3 hard drive. Can you let me have a week or so mate, just to see if owt comes up. Cheers, all the best, ed.

Cheers

Thanks , never actually had a laptop or even dabbled with them etc, can certainly see the appeal though, the portability aspect etc. Cheers mate, all the best.

Ahem <cough>

I have to balance this ad out by saying that the Japanese made some VERY good amplification and at reasonable prices too.

Pioneer A400

NAD 3020

etc.

and the amp will only ever sound as good as its source and so on...

I have a good case and loads of spares if you want to swap BTW

No arguments

I completely agree, there were and still are some great amps from jap manafacturers, nad, rotel, marantz, yeah, I mean, the list goes on, but perhaps from maybe the technics sua900mk2, the 8000a was and still is in a league of its own, theres countless threads on audio forums to support this. I arent sure exactly which but 8000 series amplification was the reference standard for several well known hi fi testbench reviewers. The 8000a has really come into its own with modern loudspeaker designs, probably more by accident than design in many ways. Thanks for the offer of a decent case by the way, it may be of some use to a potential buyer, to combine the pair etc and result in a really nice amp both on an audiophile level and cosmetically.

From memory, the What Hifi test rig comprised of the pre power:

8000Q and 4x 8000M monoblocs

plus all the gadgets like the 8000DAX/ CDM transport/DAC and the separate phono stage.

from memory...

The 8000A was never continued under the TAG McLaren audio brand but the shape remained in the AV32R.

'New' Audiolab stuff is a bit mediocre and is often discounted and failed to relight the original Audiolab days.

I've just found a spare 8000A handbook if you want it.

8000a

I have to admit, if I had the time and wasn't so occupied doing other 'things' I would try and restore the 8000a to its original glory, then try and obtain a pair of 8000m's, who knows, if I don't get a fair offer, I just may end up doing that.

Latest posts

Back