Griffin Pannacle...Just a BSO

Piperdave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi,

fairly new here....Was given this years ago, but not done much with it. A change in circumstance now means i have more time to ride and am interested in the marque history of this bike. I know some of its local history, but have never seen another one. It may just be a generic Tiawanese frame badged up though.

My friends dad bought it for his son, who tired of it, and gave it back to dad. He used it extensively, and fell of and broke his shoulder on his 65th birthday, in 1995. It came to my friend, then to me about 10 years ago.

I have done some of the obvious (?) mods to it, new headset, mudguards, replaced the manky plastic pedals, replaced the pressed steel canti's with Altus ones, and replaced the resin levers with Shimano items. New Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres complete the setup. Just replacing the horrid steel crankset to do....

Anyone here seen another one, or know who sold these. I live in Sussex, so it may be a local thing.

edit 4.1.12...

Just found out someone at work has a ladies version.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Frame: Griffin No. MC 939181XX ( X= last two numbers)

Fork: O/E Griffin

Headset: 1" It was replaced with a French one, can't remember the name..

Stem: O/E Griffin
Handlebar: O/E Griffin
Grips: O/E unknown
Barends: N/A

Brakes: O/E pressed steel canti's. Swapped for Shimano Altus
P7130146.jpg

Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Outer O/E, Inner Clark
Cantilever cable hangers: O/E
Brake Levers: O/E C-Star resin, swapped for Shimano Blr 440
OElevers.jpg

Shifters: O/E Shimano thumbies, Black plastic, no number
Thumbies.jpg

Front Derailleur: O/E Shimano FD-T25 1. Now Shimano Hyperglide.
Front.jpg

Rear Derailleur: O/E Shimano RD TY 20 A (has Suntour idler wheels) Should be a sticker on it i think.
Rear.jpg

Derailleur Cables: O/E
Cassette: O/E Shimano
Chain: Yes...:¬)
Cranks: O/E Ofmega, now Suntour 24/34/44.
Crank Bolts: ditto
Chainrings: ditto
Chainring bolts: riveted
Bottom Bracket: Ofmega
Pedals: O/E Black plastic, and nasty, swapped for GT

Hub Skewers: Front, Miche; Rear N/A
Rims:Rigida, 26 x 1.90 ( 20x559)
Hubs: Miche
Nipples: Not Known
Spokes: Not Known
Tyres: O/E Camel, now Schwalbe Land Cruiser
Tubes: Not Known

Saddle: O/E Bassano Selle "New Style", at least when i got it, now Apollo for comfort!
Seatpost: O/E steel
Seatpost Binder: O/E Q/R, now not

Weight: 13kg

The frame also has a sticker at the BB "BS6102 Part", and below, "GRIFFIN CYCLES"
sticker.jpg

Never seen another one, and can find no mention on the net....all info greatly received.

Cheers,

Dave

Sorry to let you down but it is just a normal BSO sold from the likes of Littlewoods catalogues, Grattens and so on.

Unfortunately it is nothing exciting but, and there is a but, you/ your friends have plenty of memories tooling around on it so it deserves its own little spot on RB.

Hi,

I kind of figured that is what it might be, but, hey, i get a lot of fun out of it :D . These old, but ordinary, bikes, have a place, as you so rightly say. So many people started off on this type of MTB, then traded up.

You are so right about memories as well, worth so much more than the bike....

Cheers,

Dave

Back