Coolwall July 2010 - Nuke Proof

Coolwall July 2010 - Nuke Proof

• Cool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Initially they were cool, seen on the best bikes, in the right mags, in the top shops. In my eyes though their products weren't innovative or novel and just broke too quickly in comparison to others. Hubs were just bullseye copies, frames were standard generic ti fare of the time, bars were just reworked canoe paddle shafts. I had almost every set of ends returned to the shop, most every other hub set cracked on the flanges and most bars just frayed to pieces or failed. As soon as that happened the only people who rode the stuff were the 'all the gear, no idea' guys and so their cool deminished.

After that they sold out, pumping out generic stems and guff, cool level falling...Finally they totally sold out with rights to the name going to some far east parts house, no cool left at all.

In my view the cool brands are the ones that burn bright and die quickly not like Nuke Proof that's still trying to hang on with dull products-it's a bit like the Cliff Richards of the bike world.

as a brand, i'd say cool. they seemed to market themselves well BITD. as for the products, aside from using a lot of exotic materials such as Ti and carbon, which ppl took notice of, including myself, i can't comment on as i've never owned any.

pete_mcc":epkz0rxl said:
Initially they were cool, seen on the best bikes, in the right mags, in the top shops. In my eyes though their products weren't innovative or novel and just broke too quickly in comparison to others. Hubs were just bullseye copies, frames were standard generic ti fare of the time, bars were just reworked canoe paddle shafts. I had almost every set of ends returned to the shop, most every other hub set cracked on the flanges and most bars just frayed to pieces or failed. As soon as that happened the only people who rode the stuff were the 'all the gear, no idea' guys and so their cool deminished.

After that they sold out, pumping out generic stems and guff, cool level falling...Finally they totally sold out with rights to the name going to some far east parts house, no cool left at all.

In my view the cool brands are the ones that burn bright and die quickly not like Nuke Proof that's still trying to hang on with dull products-it's a bit like the Cliff Richards of the bike world.

Didn't even know they were imported into the UK, certainly only recall seeing the kit in the pages of MBA. Who used to bring them in?

Nti (Nicol Trading) in the early 1990's, along with the likes of Salsa and Bontrager, plus UK brands like USE.. I'd sure love to have my old Nti trade info now. . .

Not sure what is generic about building your own Ti frames (the early ones were generic NP branded Litespeed built I think) back then and making carbon wrapped aluminium bars and carbon / titanium hubs and skewers.
To quote BikePro..

"Nuke Proof was one of the first earnest entrants into the bike market using carbon fiber to reinforce the strength of their parts"

If you're going into the market place advertising "Light" it better be engineered to last. Having worked in a shop that sold a fair amount of NP product one of our biggest headaches was customers always waiting for arguing for a replacement of something that had failed. Cool stuff...just not cool enough.

If you're going into the market place advertising "Light" it better be engineered to last. Having worked in a shop that sold a fair amount of NP product one of our biggest headaches was customers always waiting for arguing for a replacement of something that had failed. Cool stuff...just not cool enough.

Voted cool. I've never owned anything NP but still love there products, especially the Reactor frame.

elite504":2o55y2zh said:
Nti (Nicol Trading) in the early 1990's, along with the likes of Salsa and Bontrager, plus UK brands like USE.. I'd sure love to have my old Nti trade info now. . .

Ay, and then I think it was Zoobits for the second wave, not sure who it is now, Supercycles (along with all the 'Onza' stuff)?

mr ship":2o55y2zh said:
Not sure what is generic about building your own Ti frames (the early ones were generic NP branded Litespeed built I think)

You may have answered your own question! :D

Don't get me wrong, the early stuff was cool as i said in my original post. It's just that the company is a stale shadow of itself, the products it produced were poorly constructed and tended to break quickly and there seemed to be too much marketing not enough design or testing. Obviously the irony is the more uncool they have become the better the products being produced have become!

Back