Kirk Query.

Fizzwheel

Retro Newbie
Hi

At last a forum that knows about Kirks...

I've had mine since 1992 when I bought it 2nd hand from a friend.

I used it for several years with no complaints and then I got unfit, fat and lazy and it lived in my parents garage. I got back into cycling again at the start of this year and resurrected the Kirk after fitting new tyres and tubes it ran perfectly, until in april the Lug for the front mech shifter detatched from the frame.

Since then I've done alot more research and it seems its quite common for them to have this problem ?

I was concerned about using the bike further so I've replaced it with a modern Carbon / Alu framed bike.

The Kirk is taking up room, I'm reluctant to use it and damage it on the road now, I'm not sure whether I can repair it, or its possible to have the lug repaired or whether just to sell it on like it is.

It had a set of Mavic Aero Bars on it, which I took off, but I still have them, and replaced with a cheapo set of 3TT drop bars

Theres nothing else wrong with it except perhaps a dodgy head race bearing, and a few paint chips.

Its got a 105 Group set with 7spd rear casette and a Biopace chainset
Mavic Open4CD rims
Campag Seat Post
Titanium Flyte Sadle
Campag front Mech which works or did work till the lug broke on the downtube shifter.

Basically I'm trying to ascertain whether its repairable and if it was I think I'd probably keep it, if not I'm considering Ebaying it, but I've no idea what its worth..

Thanks for reading, any advice would be useful

Heres a few pics

With the drop bars

DSC_0505.jpg

with the mavics

push.jpg

Seem to remember bits falling off these. I'm sure you will get a reponse soon, not sure what it will be. Some within this forum believe that when satan returns to wreak terror upon the world he will be riding a Kirk. I think its looks OK and I seem to remember Maguiver (spelling!) making a welding torch out of one!! So it can't be that bad.

the only bits you can repair on these are the glue-in or bolt on bits.

You're fairly lucky that that's the only bit that snapped - many of the MTB ones fail in more structural places (like mine which has no dropouts!)

I'm not sure what size it is, I'll get it out the garage at some point tomorrow and find out.

Joe - would the mounting lug for the shifter be a glue on part, it looks like it might have been glued at some point, if so is it just a case of glueing it back on again ?

I've measured it roughly and its a 56cm frame.

I think I'm going to leave the lug like it is and bung it on ebay and see what it goes for. I'm realistically not going to use it in anger as my current ped rides much much better than the kirk does.

Would it be rude of me to stick it in the for sale section on here ? I dont know if you guys have rules about newbies selling stuff on your forum ?

It wouldnt come with the pedals as I've removed them and they're on my new road bike.

2cm too big for me fortunately otherwise I'd have been eyeing it up as a singlespeed project :)

Yeah, bung it in the for sale section here first, thats what its for.

Kirk frames .... that brings back mixed memories. Road raced mine with campag C-record Delta groupset in the mid eighties. Used to turn heads :D :D
Went through 3 frames though in about a year - front mech hanger fell off. Bonded thread cups in BB came loose and frame cracked. Had the frames replaced for free but soon got fed up with it and sold the last frame on whilst it was still intact...
Good to see some pics again though :D

Back