Do I have disc tabs?? 1999 Klein Attitude Comp with pics

signalMTB":1o7us9op said:
carlos-g":1o7us9op said:
Be aware that using one of those 22mm to IS disc adaptors will mean you need to up the rotor size by 20mm .This also effectively means you need a caliper for a 140mm/145mm rotor because anything else will be too big. Also the A2Z adaptor leaves quite a large gap that needs shimming out using a washer thats about 3-4mm thick.

I built this for a mate and encountered both the above problems.

Just so I'm clear, if I add this adapter...I will need a rotor that is 140/145mm in size? So a 160mm or 180mm will NOT work? I currently don't have discs on it, so I will be purchasing a new set for it. Just want to be sure I get the right size/setup.

No , what you will need if using the adaptor is a caliper for a 140/145mm rotor but a 160/165mm rotor will need to be used as the adaptor position moves the caliper further out than a normal disc mount on top of the seat stay does.

I'm sure the original setup that used the mount in the frame (like the one big.eck has) would've used the correct size rotor.

With regard to needing the caliper shimming out I cunningly fashioned one piece shims from the washers used to toe in v-brake blocks , spent an age filing bits off and checking till it was perfect (IMO)

if you need any help when you get everything just PM me .

I'd go for big.eck's caliper if i were you - i went to the trouble of tracking one down for my old Mantra and it just looked so right when I fitted it - set up very easy too - piece of business card either side of the rotor, squeeze the lever and bolt it down - done.

DSCN0002-1.jpg

the rear stays like to break when using disks. be careful. it is for a good reason they stopped building them after one year..

I have a 22 mm hayes side piece that I got from mechagouki about 2 years ago to use on my Trek Y-33. I never ended up using it and have now retired the frame so never will.

I believe you can use it to adapt a post-mount Hayes mag/nine/G2 caliper to the 22mm mount, and these brake sets are readily available online for not much (for example: http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=85484).

I got it (see picture attached) for nothing + postage, and I am happy to pass it on for the same.

From the look of it it's never been used or built up, though it'll be well travelled having come from Canada and is now in Australia!

If you're interested PM me. (Airmail to the US would be about $10 Australian)

Attachments

• Hayes 22mm side plate.jpg
    Hayes 22mm side plate.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 5,810
I'm looking to convert my Attitude comp to IS as i want to fit my XTR BRM 965's calliper instead of the original parallel fitting Hayes calliper thats standard on there at mo.
Can't understand why A2Z can't make the bracket so it is a bolt on affair, job done??? :roll:
I work in engineering so if anyones interested i'll post up whether i was successful and can you give dims etc if you wish to take them to an engineering firm to get them to knock one up for you. I may even make an IS and POST fitment as i have a set of post mount LX callipers too i could use. Hey, i may even knock up a few of each and for 160,180,185(avid discs) and a lairy 203mm :LOL: if anyones interested in buying them for cost+postage.

I don't get onto the MTBR forums very often, but I was asking some questions along the same lines as you have been a few years back and a bloke came along who was play testing this design in CAD - this must be the production version.

My Y-33 frame is retired but I'm tempted to get myself one of these while they're available just to keep my options open if I ever pull it off the wall in the future and want to build it up with disks.

You could try sourcing a Hope C2 No.1 Caliper - I found one on here and with a bit of cleaning it came up really well and fits the bike perfect.

Attachments

• DSC_0292.jpg
    DSC_0292.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 4,070
Back