Which is the best modern?

A Scapin Nope would be pretty high on my list.

NOPE-D8.jpg

Scapin Nope D8

Scapins top line hardtail, the Nope D8 is made from Columbus Spirit steel, custom drawn for Scapin, then beautifully welded in the Scapin factory by true artists.

The steel is then ceramic bead blasted to strengthen the welds and prime the surface for the WPT weather proofing treatment. This involves an electrolosis process to coat the surface with Zinc salts, resulting in a frame that will withstand anything the weather can throw at it.

The steel is then mated to the Carbon seat tube and head tube insert using a highly advanced adhesive. The whole is then painted in the Scapin factories own paint shop, with six colours available as standard, or custom colours at extra cost.

The finished frame is the most responsive and fun to ride hardtail available, giving a fast ride with the added comfort of the high end steel. The sculpted shaped seat stays damping the trail buzz, with the combination of the carbon seat tube and over sized chain stays making sure that all your energy is utilised in forward motion.

The frame comes equipped with two bottle mounts and a race number mount.

The cable guides are fixed to the head tube rather than the down tube. The chain stay guide is adjustable enabling easy adjustment of Sram rear mechs.

Disc only!

I've seen a few in the flesh and they are truly beautifull.

Or a custom from Charlie at Alves (my local framebuilder).
I love steel hardtails, it's been a few years since I used a Ti frame but they never really did it for me... and I'm not paying that much for a bike frame (in the same way that I don't run XTR - I don't see the benefit above XT... I'd rather have another bike)!

Yes, Scapin is nice. I worked for the importer about a decade ago. The were nicely made and elegant. They also thought off solutions for problems I didn't even know they excisted. Sometimes smart, sometimes funny

For the heritage, pedigree and the truly custom approach to every frame I would happily buy my Seven again (although only if I could get it at the American price I paid for it again, unfortunately something you can’t do unless you live in the States – no mail order option you see :( )

Best Bike

Would have to be a Merlin soft tail. Think they still make 'em to order, but last price I heard was 3K plus frame only, but the weak Dollar may have helped.
In Steel AND more affordable would be a Bob Jackson, hand built in 853 to my own spec and Candy Flake colour fade paint job!

Are they really still producing softails? Well, I'd pick a Moots, tho.... If I could, but I can't... tough luck!

Merlin

So I believe, they will produce anything to order ,complete with custom engraving still. I had a pal who had one made up for him, then went to pick it up while on holiday out there. I believe he had the frame "heat treated" in some way which effected the oxidising colour to a sort of Red/Gold colour, Dare not quote the cost, but it looked amazing and rode even better!

Ditch those short travel hardtails and get onto a Turner 5 Spot (or Spot) as I've said many times before if I was only allowed to have one bike this would be it, as it just does everything so well from all day epics, really technical climbs and descents and even XC racing (I've even won racing on mine!!).

Once you've ridden a great dual suspension bike you won't go back (other than the retro stuff).

andrewl":3f5tew42 said:
Once you've ridden a great dual suspension bike you won't go back (other than the retro stuff).

That was true for my Uzzi SL, loved it..

I like the look of the Titus RacerX Carbon*..

bike_lg_rxcb_blk.jpg

* Apart from that saddle, seatpost and stem!

Back