1996 GT Zaskar is for sale on ebay 12.5 frame,pace evo forks

Status
Not open for further replies.
mikeekim89":2qa4jj5r said:
no i'm sorry, i disagree gm, avalanche's are made from 7005 series aluminium, as are the backwoods, which would make this frame a mystery, the curved back plate points too non zaskar, but the 6061 series aluminium means it's not a avalanche, or a backwoods.

@ mikeekim89 you can disagree all you want but then you have to explain this spec page out of the 1997 GT catalog :D

Note there was a 12.5 Backwoods in the catalog in 1997 but out of 7005 and Taiwan built. Also note the Avalanche and Avalanche LE were 6061 and USA made....so I'm guessing all the aluminum framed Avalanche's were not 7005 then?

Attachments

• 97 GT Specs 001 (2).jpg
    97 GT Specs 001 (2).jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 1,180
Dewyuk":2bpw7v77 said:
gm here is a question for you in front of everyone...dont be afraid if you do not know the answer..Did GT make a 12.5 1997 Avalanche????? quite simple!! yes or no

@Dewyuk the answer is obviously YES. Because the only spec they had in 1997 with a 6061 frame that was US produced with a curved top cap was the Avalanche and Avalanche LE as the catalog spec page posted above clearly shows.

Here's a few riddles for you Dewyuk in front of everyone...don't be afraid to answer quite simply!! yes or no?

Did GT make a Single Speed Psyclone frame w/horizontal dropouts? Did they produce a Zaskar in Green Anodized color in 1992? Did they produce a Titanium 650C wheeled road bike? I'm guessing if you know all about GT's you'd say it wasn't possible because they were never shown in a catalog or on Bikepedia....but these are for real. All were never offered to the public or shown as available to the public in a catalog, but they obviously exist just as your 97 12.5 Avalanche does even though it's not in a catalog.

Attachments

• DSC08437.JPG
    DSC08437.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,170
  • IMG_3548.JPG
    IMG_3548.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,171
  • PICT0296.JPG
    PICT0296.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,171
Dewyuk":2nap1eqp said:
so its not a tempest because tempests were not 6061 and it is not a 1997 avalanche because the cut of point is november for the next year and not september!!!!

"the cut of point is November"???...where did you get that idea. I laid this out plainly before. There is no possible way any bike company would start their next model years bike production that late. It simply takes too long with a frame of this type to get it welded, racked, off to the ball burnishers, back and assembled and boxed and loaded then hauled to the port and on the boat shipped across the pond, unload and warehoused and pulled and shipped to a dealer and assembled and on a dealers floor by Jan 1 of the next year.

Radoslaw":2vvtuzj7 said:
This bike is very intrigue. Just checked German 97 catalogue and there is clearly stated Avalanche and Avalanche LE are 7000 series aluminium and same in 96 unless were different markets in Europe and States? Yes Zaskar from this year shouldn't have curved top cap but GM, I cannot find catalogue where is stated some 97 Avalanches were 6061 made. This things getting very strange and makes me more confused :?

Maybe welder been dunk and welded wrong end cap :D
GM, can you show me catalogue or informations about 6061 stamped Avalanches?

Something is not right here which I can't explain.

Anyway, Dewyuk perhaps mate you've got the rarest bike in the world, don't sell it for peanuts :D

Edit: Just looked in to 98 catalogue and in fact Avalanches were 6000 series aluminum made, but surely GT couldn't made late 96 frame for 98 year market :?:

97 USA GT Catalog Spec sheet has been posted. Same specs shown on Bikepedia for 1997 Avalanche and Avalanche LE. @Radoslaw yes it is not only possible but was common that frame or parts specs were different between countries. Let's face it by 1997 most companies were even jumping ship from Taiwan production and were switching or had already switched to mainland China production. Many time's specs were different so the model could "hit a price point" within a certain countries market. Colors were different from country to country also. Because of past wars between some countries and even colors of flags of neighboring countries...there were colors that just will not sell in some countries.
This came up a number of times at International distributor meetings.
There were even regions of the US that sold GT's ladies models in Black and Black wasn't listed in the catalog as a color that was available.

Dewyuk":2y463oh4 said:
To be fair i have over 1000 ebay transactions 100% positive feedback..i do not want to pull the wool over peoples eyes for the sake of a mountain bike...it is just not worth it...i posted on here originally to let people have a look and tell me what they thought of the bike....gm starts running his mouth but doesnt have a clue what bike it is for certain

and when i say certain i mean certain!!

FWIW, I haven't been "running my mouth off". These facts I know...I've got somewhere between 14 and 16 Zaskars in my basement and I've had more than 300 different Zaskars on my repair stand over the past 5-1/2 years. About 85% of them were sold to Zaskar lovers in Europe. I also have 100 percent feedback on all bike items with many of them Zaskar frames and bikes.

Dewkuy yours is a great little frame as has been mentioned by many on here. But like most of us that post and follow at Retrobike and other sites...we all know that decals are cheap and can be put on anything they were never intended to be put on. I'm not saying that you did that. Maybe the previous owner did, who knows. The one thing I do know is many in the past have tried to sell frames for more money than there worth by changing decals and hoping no one would notice. When I'm selling a legitimate Zaskar and some throws up a relabeled frame and claims it's the same nothing makes me more furious. How would you feel if you were listing a legitimate 18" Zaskar and someone throws up an 18 Tempest with Zaskar decals from the same model year as yours? I've had it happen more than once.

Okay folks the bike has now been sold..thanks for your help everyone...gm you really need to get yourself a life of some description..

What are you going to do with yourself now that you have no one to argue with???

you could go out in the street and argue that black is white or vice versa!!

or with your talents maybe you could get a job as a cheeseburger engineer :LOL:

I didnt really want to stoop as low as you did by insulting people via their inbox but you know what they say....if you cant beat em join em!!!!

I will cut and paste some of the inbox messages from gm later

Finally iam gonna have one last dig ready!!!!

There is no way that bike was a GT AVALANCHE...

GT DID NOT MAKE A 12.5 inch 1997 model AVALANCE FACT

This you well know

bye bye for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back