98 Club Roost DH8, finished for now 9/10/10

zigzag":23vlixay said:
Another quality paint job Jimi! Are you keeping the rear end bare ally? Nice thing about the camo is you've got lots of options colour wise. There's not many bikes that'd suit a brown seat post like the one Kaiser has on his Salsa, but it'd work on this!

Still sad about the rasta though ;)

Yeah, rear is staying bare alloy to match the forks, all other big bits will be black to let the frame stand out ;)

Some stuff done during the week :)

Tweaked the paintjob, colours were too solid looking so i sponged it all over with Kaki green before going over it with enamel laquer, cant remember how many coats, lost count at six :LOL: , got a full set of new bearings for the rear from a local engineering place, fitting was a simple case of knocking the old ones out and the new ones in, got the headset in and bolted the fork crowns in place, still waiting on fork seals to get the legs together, should have them tomorrow and get the forks built up over the weekend.

camodh8-2.jpg

Here is the Shiver forks in bits, paid top money for these of E-bay and they turned out to be leaking (not mentioned in add), seller agreed to refund £50 for the cost of seals and oil so not so bad, though maybe i should have pushed for £90 as this is what most bike shops would charge for a seal and oil change.

They are simple things though, bottom nut off, top cap off and the whole lot comes apart (spilling oil everywhere), the main seal levers out (after taking off the spring clip), the long black things are the main bushes which just push out once the main seal is removed, superb, simple, stong design.

May try filling them with ATF after reading the "fork oil" thread.

shivers.jpg

Looking deadly :cool: :LOL: I know you don't like the 31.8 bars but are the 22's maybe gonna look a bit spindly in there?

kaiser":3d7uqvdw said:
Looking deadly :cool: :LOL: I know you don't like the 31.8 bars but are the 22's maybe gonna look a bit spindly in there?

Recon they should look ok with a burly shim :) will consider the fat bars though as they'd be a straight fit, found out recently some small MX Motorbikes use these exact same forks :shock: , just have different bar mounts and disc mounts.

Or i could maybe get some bars made up that are 31.8 end to end and get oversize grips, leverclamps etc :LOL:

kaiser":2dfvdzwt said:
What size tyre are you going for?

Hoping to get a 24x2.5 in the rear, front will take a 24x3.0 no problem but may be a 24x2.7, going to be using Halo rims.

Found a couple of pics of 24x24 Big Hits (opposed to 24x26) for inspiration, will stick them on here in a wee while ;)

Enid_Puceflange":a9snuah6 said:
Did you get the direct mount stem or will you be using a 'normal' style of stem bud?

G

Got a direct mount oversize stem, would have liked to have used a normal stem but dont have enough steerer.

Heres some Big Hits running 24's front and rear :)

bighit.jpg

big-hit.jpg

bighit24.jpg

what size discs you gona use ? i'd go for at least 8" hope floaters ;) but the frame does take a 9" rear :D

frames looking cool as chuff btw :D :D :D

Back