Please date this road bike

Yvo

Dirt Disciple
Hello everybody!

I can buy this Jan Janssen road bike for little money. It's paint scheme is so ugly that i like it :oops: . I don't know the year of building (probably somewhere in the 70's, but i like to know it more exactly), so maybe you guys can help me a bit. The photo's below are the only pics i have. Thanks in advance!

Yvo

34snjue.jpg

2wqr0ix.jpg

how old

looking at photos looks like crankset is mid 80's due to not being cottered , another good clue is check to see if hubs are date stamped . looks nice and original

looking at photos looks like crankset is mid 80's due to not being cottered , another good clue is check to see if hubs are date stamped . looks nice and original

Thanks, it looks original indeed. If i look at the brakes and paint scheme, it's hard to believe they made this bike in the 80's. I really want to restore this bike, but when it's from the eighties it's not so interesting for me.

The clearance between wheels and fram look very large. Are the wheels original?

I've got no idea. The tires are flat, maybe that's the reason it's looking a bit strange?

Thanks for the answers.

I think it's way earlier than the 80's, I started to get involved with road bikes in the early 80s and I don't recognise anything like being from that era.

If the wheels are 700c, I would have thought with frame and brake clearances like those that the original wheels would be 27inch. If they are already 27 inch then coupled with the clearance makes it easily earlier than the 80's in my view.

I reckon the fittings are all later than the 70's. Just look at the Mafac 'Racer' brakes and levers, stem, chainset etc.

Unless of course they've all been replaced which I would consider unlikely.

As a quick point, were 27" wheels in use in Holland or were 700c the norm?

Thanks for the answers guys! I've decided not to buy it.

As a quick point, were 27" wheels in use in Holland or were 700c the norm?
700c wheels were the norm here.

Yvo

Back