1996 GT Zaskar is for sale on ebay 12.5 frame,pace evo forks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay here is the bikepedia link.....

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... =Avalanche LE&Type=bike

according to this the smallest 1997 avalanche le available is a 14.5 frame.......mine is clearly a 12.5

the 1998 avalanche was available as a 12.5 frame but my bike is stamped 0996 so it is definitely not an 1998 lol

has anyone seen a pic of a 1997 avalanche in a 12.5 frame because i sure as hell cannot find one!!!!

plus my bike is september 1996 which seems quite early for it to be a 1997???

i can agree with that buddy, but. i looked through the 1996 catalogue aswell, and the only bike that is 6061 is the zaskar, that doesn't have a size listing.

I wouldn't rely on bikepedia, although it is good it isn't the font of ALL knowledge

On bikepedia for 1997 GT Zaskar and Avalanche they are shown as being only 14.5" yet the Backwoods is shown as 12.5"

For 1996 only the Backwoods is shown as 12.5"

It appears from the bikepedia database that Zaskars and Avalanche's only started being produced in 12.5" size in 1998.

Yours does have 6061 and a serial number on the dropouts YET the rear end tube is curved. Now at the time Zaskars were known as being THE flat ended GT Aluminium Framed Bike. It was a Zaskars trademark. I would be very surprised to see a 1996 / 1997 era genuine Zaskar without the flat end.

Would love to have a closer look at this frame in person

your not the only one (look at the frame), although, a few other GT's did have a flat cap, i agree, the zaskar is THE flat cap bike, it's it's distinctive marking.. along with the rear triangle brace.

yeah i would agree that bikpedia is not 100% cast iron evidence but if 1997 avalanche were available as a 12.5 then surely there would be an image on the internet somewhere as one

I want to get to the bottom of this as much as you guys...as i have the bike listed on ebay

I dont want to pull the wool over anyones eyes yet i dont want to under sell the bike either

Yep aware of the other flat capped Ally GT, Pantera, which has often been badged up as a Zaskar and sold to unaware buyers.

I'm also aware that some of the later Taiwanese Zaskars did have curved ends

I wouldn't take that GT Catalogue as gospel either, it is in German so maybe specific for the German Market.

I'm going to do some research on this as it is Vexing.

All I will say if anybody can get to the bottom of this then its gm1230126. I'm not saying that he is infallible BUT to me he is THE expert in clearing ambiguity's up. Always been helpful and a genuine GT Guru :cool:

Whatever it is, it's still a nice little frame. I do hope you realise that you'd probably get more for your money by splitting it and selling it on here PLUS you wouldn't have to pay ebay listing or final value fees ;)

Worth considering

If I was shorter I'd consider buying it.

Just out of interest where did it come from? Previous owner?

Well i was told by the previous owner it was a ltd edition....gm swears that it is an 1997 avalanche produced in 1996 rebadged......however i havent seen a 1997 12.5 avalanche anywhere....please correct me if iam wrong....i have emailed gt a few days ago with the serial number but they have yet to get back to me.

I bought it from ebay local to me...i dont want to sell it on here at the minute because nobody can be 100% sure what it is.....................i have had gm messaging me calling me a fraud saying iam trying to decieve people etc etc....im just as in the dark as everybody else..i would love to know the truth!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back