Vitus 787 Chainset

Gazzo100uk

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I have just bought a Vitus 787 frame and forks. It already has a bottom bracket in and my local bike shop has very kindly fitted a headset and bars today.

Can anybody tell me what kind of bottom bracket it is please and as it is square tapered are there any cyclocross chainsets I can buy for it - preferably with a 46/34 or something similar?

I plan on using my wheels from my road bike and hopefully will be able to source some brakes calipers / leavers etc from ebay at some point.

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Just took a wobbly Shimano UN52 English threaded square taper out of mine. The thing to remember is that the crank you go for will dictate what size BB to use. Check Sheldon Browns table of Bottom bracket sizes for various cranks. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html. The BB shell will be 68mm

Whoops just read the post again will measure the one that came out when I get into my shed tomorrow. I can only assume the one I've taken out has been in there since the word go. Is yours cartridge with the plastic cup on the non drive side?

Hi thanks for the reply. Mine doesn't seem to have a plastic cup on the non drive side. As far as I understand it seems to be metal of some sort.

To be honest I bought it with the plan of building it up but it seems that I am just going to get my local bike shop to do it.

I have decided to just leave the current bottom bracket in and get my local bike shop to put a single 42t chainring on some cranks for me.

I am going to give that a go with a 12-27 casette on the back and use a bar end shifter for the gears. I hope to build the bike up to around 9kg so I'm trying to save a bit of weight.

Fingers crossed.

9 kg should be possible with those frames, mine is currently stripped in my shed. The frame only is very light without the bottom bracket in. Just frame, forks and my record headset. Hmm perhaps I should weigh it before I build it back up...

Good luck with the weight, what wheels are you planning on running?

I am going to put my Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels on that I have currently got on my road bike (planning to get some new wheels for the road bike next year).

I have just bought a stronglight impact rohloff 42T chainset to run on the front. It's coming togeather - slowly but surely.

Back