1996 GT Zaskar is for sale on ebay 12.5 frame,pace evo forks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dewyuk":1s2idkjr said:
you cannot make your mind up can you...you say it is an avalanche then a tempest now a backwoods....which one do you want????? you dont have a clue my friend

Pretty obvious to all of us that know GT's. We all know these facts about your frame from your post.
1) Produced in late 1996 September in fact (after you told us October)
2) It's a 6061 frame
3) It has a curved top tube end cap.

Simple fact is the only frames with that spec in GT's 1997 model year were the Avalanche and Avalanche LE. All one has to do is look at the catalog or Bikepedia to see that. I sent you the links. Others here have seen them and agree with me.

Tempests and Backwoods were 7000 frames and I said those first before you replied to my request to check the stamping on the inside of your rear dropout...remember. Now the facts are straight.

Nobody has agreed that this bike is an avalanche...you are just making your own assumptions im afraid.unless i here otherwise from a REAL GT employee then it will remain as a gt zasker....you do not count as an employee

This bike is very intrigue. Just checked German 97 catalogue and there is clearly stated Avalanche and Avalanche LE are 7000 series aluminium and same in 96 unless were different markets in Europe and States? Yes Zaskar from this year shouldn't have curved top cap but GM, I cannot find catalogue where is stated some 97 Avalanches were 6061 made. This things getting very strange and makes me more confused :?

Maybe welder been dunk and welded wrong end cap :D
GM, can you show me catalogue or informations about 6061 stamped Avalanches?

Something is not right here which I can't explain.

Anyway, Dewyuk perhaps mate you've got the rarest bike in the world, don't sell it for peanuts :D

Edit: Just looked in to 98 catalogue and in fact Avalanches were 6000 series aluminum made, but surely GT couldn't made late 96 frame for 98 year market :?:

Did GT ever produce a 12.5" US made Zaskar? :?

EDIT: Yes, in 1998! My 20" 1998 GT Zaskar had a flat end-cap, just like all the other US made GT Zaskars I've ever seen.

So, the two problems with this frame appear to be:

1) 12.5" Zaskars weren't made for MY1996 or MY1997

2) It has a curved end-cap.

We know the decals probably aren't original to the frame so they're no help (as evidenced by the 'Designed in USA' sticker, which is just plain wrong no-matter what).

Alas, I don't think this is a Zaskar either. I would be very interested to see a photo of a 1998 12.5" Zaskar, just to satisfy myself that it had a flat end-cap...

Just to say, the amendment made to the listing is completely reasonable and honest.

Interesting thread

Got to say that gm1230126 IS a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to the Triple Triangle.

For me the flat seat tube cap is a major stumbling block for this bike.

Wasn't the 1997 issue Avalanche LE also produced in 12.5" size and made from 6061. I've got a sneaky feeling that gm1230126 may be right that this was actually made in 1996 for a 1997 issue.

Nice little frame :cool:

i looked on bikepeida earlier on in this arguement, that i regret joining in with, and the 97 avalanche and LE we're 6061 made, yes.

Well I wouldn't be arguing the toss with gm about GT's :LOL:

I'd be giving him some pm love (non-pervy) and asking for help in correctly ID'ing my bike since he's a GT legend!!...

Not detracting anything from you other guys.. there's a crap-load of GT knowledge just in this thread, let alone the whole site...

And I still like the little bike, despite some low spec parts... ;)

correct me if iam wrong I have just looked on bikepedia and it appears that the smallest 1997 avalanche that was made was a 14.5 yet my bike has a 12.5 frame...does anybody know different....id love to see a picture of a 12.5 97 avalanche if possible????????

ok, lookinmg through all of the GT catalogue in great detail, there are NO 1997 gt frames in 12.5 that are 6061 series metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back