What size band on Front Mech

kula

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
Hi, what diameter band on front mech do I need for a 80's 531 frame. been checking out ebay for a cheapy but there are a few different sizes on offer.
Help greatly received.

FWIW there are only 3 standard sizes of clamp-on mechs - 28.6, 31.8 and 34.9. Steel frames all take 28.6mm IME.

The curse of the internet forum is that people will ask a question on a forum rather than simply finding out for themseles. How hard is it to find out the diameter of a tube? All you need do is measure the circumference with a tape measure or a bit of paper and a ruler and divide by pi. Rocket science it ain't.

Bah Humbug!

monty dog":25gsanln said:
FWIW there are only 3 standard sizes of clamp-on mechs - 28.6, 31.8 and 34.9. Steel frames all take 28.6mm IME.

0.1mm of paint on mine then, couldn't have measured that with a tape and pie :)

The curse of the internet forum eh. well sorry I asked such a dumb question.
I thought that sites like these were full of folk happy to help. I for one am happy to ask questions, and to reply to others if I know the answer.
I'll stop using the site, won't bother to try and post a picture of any of my steads, cos what's the point. Somebody will be upset coz my Raleighs aren't Colnagos.
Bye Bye cruel Retrobike :cry:

kula":aurbfv7l said:
I'll stop using the site, won't bother to try and post a picture of any of my steads
Aaaaaagh!

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 5&start=13

Seriously though, if you really want to be useful, stick around and be useful. But for Pete's sake, grow an epidermis.

On the other hand, if you want to throw a Harry on us...

monty dog":aurbfv7l said:
Most do, but there are quite a few exceptions. I've got a later 853 Raleigh, for example, that takes a 31.8

Oops - I should have qualified that - for a steel frame, if the seatpost is smaller than 27.2mm then it's 28.6!

monty dog":151r5itw said:
Oops - I should have qualified that - for a steel frame, if the seatpost is smaller than 27.2mm then it's 28.6!

Except when it's not. I used to have a strange unidentified bike with a seat tube that was 27.2mm. IIRC the seat post was 25.4mm. I think the bike was French which explains (if not excuses) almost anything.

Back