Viking dating and models

Goldie

Senior Retro Guru
Put your thinking caps on bike heros... I have a nice Viking in the cellar, which I'd guess dates from the days of the Londonderry rather than the original Wolverhampton concern. But does anyone know how to find out the model name / number, or whether Vikings ever had them? And does anyone know how to date these things?

Dating Vikings can be quite an eye opener as they have a less inhibited view of life than us uptight Brits. As for models I'd steer well clear, they are far too highly strung.

Mark.

Goldie.
I'm pretty sure my Viking is a 78 model. I'll check the serial number later, to see if the number gives clues on the year.
Mike.
Ps. Should be able to pop into Henry Burton's tomorrow, and i'll ask about your bike.
Mike.

Well the serial number for my 1978/79 Viking Vision, built in Northern Ireland, designed by Harry Quinn, is

V 1999 7 so i don't know the meaning of that, maybe model V 7 1999th built maybe?.
Anyway lets see some pics of this beast. :)
Is your serial number similar....

The serial number on mine - stamped on the bottom of the bb shell - is completely different -it's S201. Here's a picture anyway:

DSC02040.jpg

Just for the sake of clarity, I don't really have any nordic types imprisoned in my cellar and have vowed never to post when full of beer again :oops:

Ahh smashing... It looks like a "Superstar 12" out of the '80 catalogue, but with full length mudguards instead of the shorties. The ad invites you to select any of the twelve gears to make the going easy, which I will try and bear in mind the next time I am panting arthritically up a hill and watching the Specialized in front grow smaller and smaller....

Brilliant catalogues, they make me want to own one of evrything in the range.

i just picked up the same bike! mines a bit bigger and rustier though....

the tyre are perished beyond id too. any idea what size wheel they are?

please say 700c :D

In the link I posted the catalogs have the wheel sizes, or you could see if the size is typed on the side of your tyres.

Back