First time BMX

If you go over to Radbmx, and send a pm to Dave (Stodgy) then he's a really really nice, patient chap, who runs a BMX shop.

Can't fault the chap when I've bought 2nd hand parts for my old school builds from him, and will be pleased to give you some advice, and it will be "good" advice too I woul;d expect.

He'll know whats good and bad in the budget, what to look for, what to avoid, and which brands are cool and which aren't.

I'd search locally at the race track. Unlike street/dirt/etc bikes, race bmx bikes are generally tailored specifically for kid's size. IE the JR's really are JR's etc.

The bikes are ultra light and pretty durable, but of course not near what a heavier bike would be.

You could most likely pick up a used bike for dirt cheap as well, kids grow... fast, and when bmx racing, parents tend to constantly up bike size until the kids size slows down a bit.

If you want new, there are plenty of entry level priced bikes. In the end, I would definitely stay away from heavy bikes unless she's interested in dirt jumping (which you can still do on a race bike).

Just my thoughts on it :) A bmx track is also a great place to learn all sorts of skills on a bike as well, ntm etching safety into their head at the same time.

Latest posts

Back