Coolwall July 2010 - Nuke Proof

Coolwall July 2010 - Nuke Proof

• Cool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Can't say I know much about them, but I've always loved their frames and as said above, the name/logo/brand is a first-class ticket to cool city.

SO cool, I know the hubs can self desruct in 10 seconds, but it really doesn't matter. I love their Ti frames and the carbon/ti one (the alu ones, not so cool)

Love this brand, and I know that this isn't cool, but the first part for my reissue zaskar was a new nuke proof seatpole, just because it was NP, lame i know.

Uncool. There is sometimes mediocre stuff that still does tip the scale to cool, like Yeti or Ringle, but Nuko Proof is defo not among them. Not so well defined image and questionable function: not a winning combo.

Nuke made the coolest crap hubs on earth; so despite it´s bad desing & durability they are deffo COOL.

At least, mine have not exploted yet ...

The COOLEST!

I remember seeing the advert in an american mag when I was a spotty youth,
the carbon & titanium :cool:

The logo :cool:

The price :(

Still lovely kit in my eyes

G

how can anyone consider nukeproof not cool!! :shock:

i always wanted a carbon hubset but couldn't afford it at the time, when i got into the trade i eventually, in 1998, bought one of their hubs, titanium centre with alloy flanges, for my road bike, it has never even had new bearings fitted and it still spins like new now even though it is mostly used now on my cyclocross bike!! unreliable??!! utter tosh!!!! :LOL: but having said that i sadly didn't own the earlier hubs so have no right to comment on those hubs from a use point of view, all i know is i wanted them!! :twisted:

as far as the other components go, well i never knew at the time they did frames! :oops: but having seen some recently i really like them. i also liked the stems they did, i liked the triangular clamp on the stem face plate as it fitted very neatly with the logo. :cool:

the "radioactive" logo itself and the name were somehow futuristic, nuclear, dangerous, explosive (or explosif is you wish! ;) ) adventurous, these things made it cool :cool:

overall, regardless of your opinion of quality i think it was an aspirational brand, meaning you wanted it!! and that alone makes it cool. :cool:

Definately good branding with Nuke Proof with the logo, colours etc. so I'm voting cool.

Never owned any Nuke Proof stuff so don't know if it was crap or not

I voted cool!

Everytime one of these 'cool' votes is posted, some seem to miss the point of cool.

The fact that something lasted five minutes and cost a fortune etc, etc... neither makes it cool or not. How it looks and makes you feel, makes it cool. I spent untold amounts on cnc'd stuff back in the day, that was utter sh1t, but very cool.

Lets face it, if it lasted more that a year or two it was just a bonus.

al,in bed again with a stuffed back! :(

P7081767.jpg

P7081765.jpg

I do not agree that Nuke Proof would be a mediocre brand, with all due respect i think brands like TREK or Giant are mediocre
For their time they used nice materials and and cool logo
The Welding on my first Nuke Proof Titanium is gorgeous, and it rides better then the Fat Chance titanium
Could be off course that people do not know what the word "COOL" means,..it does not have anything to do with durability or quality ;) hehehhe
In fashion for instance there are plenty of brands which are totally rubbish but uber cool,..

The tiny lightweight hubs were very cool.

Nuke Proof first came on my radar when they were used on the Sub 20lb project bike in MBUK (The Marin Team Titanium)

I know the hubs were bad, but they were one of the very first aftermarket hubs and couple of years ahead of Ringle, White Industries etc. Along with Bullseye they would have been the only alternatives to XT / XC Pro.

Back