Anyone swap a steel retro MTB for a Roberts road bike frame?

bordercollie1

Devout Dirtbag
I have a 1996 Roberts SLX brazed road frame and wondered if anyone was interested in swapping it for a nice steel retro MTB frame?

The Roberts frame is a 57cm (ish) in metallic blue with white stickers, and it's identical to the one in the 1996 Roberts catalogue, but with a straight fork. It was always too big for me (I am 6'1 and the Roberts was supposedly custom made!!)

A 57CM frame is too big for you at 6 foot 1? Is it set up to be a compact? I'd say 57cm in a traditional geometry is a wee bit too small for you.

What's your definition of a nice steel retro frame? 531 with U-brake bosses or is that a bit too prosaic?

I'm 5'11 :cool:

I have had no luck yet, although one guy on the forum emailed me about buying it for £100 but it didn't happen.
It's hard to put a price on somthing that you order at the factory and wait 10 weeks for!

Retrobike can sometimes feel a bit commercial so I thought that swapping one much loved frame for another would be a bit 'nicer', but of course the chances of someone being in the same position is quite low. Perhaps we should start a SWAP SHOP THREAD for Retro Bike ehthusiasts who just can't dip into joint savings to buy 15 year old parts?

My Roberts is an SLX brazed frame with straight forks.
It cost me £575 in 1996 so I thought someone might swap it for an equivilent Roberts (or other quality marque) MTB?

I am not sure about the sizing. I am 6'1 and it always felt a bit long for me, and the top tube is an inch longer than my Colnago

How long is the TT then? Might have something to swap if the road frame is sufficiently large...

The top tube on the Roberts (center of seat tube to center of head tube) is just over 58cm (22inches) The top tube is fairly horizontal.

While I had the tape measure out...
The Colnago has a 56cm tt and a 19 inch Stumpjumper has a 57cm tt.

Back